Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Saw a yellow T-5R in Tacoma tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a yellow T-5R in Tacoma tonight.

I've seen this guy on the freeway before, but tonight I saw him parked so I snapped a few pics. It looks kind of rough. Bad dent on rear driver's door, peeling roof rails, after-market seat cover on driver's side, etc.

Name:  Pxm83vp.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  348.9 KB
Name:  dmFQFz3.jpg
Size:  282.7 KB
Name:  2COssHU.jpg
Size:  307.1 KB
Name:  mDZ4Iho.jpg
Size:  344.1 KB

Name:  nIdB7LC.jpg
Size:  369.8 KB

Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Ouch, I think I saw that same car last year, while driving my recently-sold wagon. I start a new job in Tacoma next week, so you might see another yellow sedan rolling through town. Seems to be a high concentration, if you can say at least 4 yellows is high!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mumblix_Grumph
It looks kind of rough. Bad dent on rear driver's peeling roof rails, after-market seat cover on driver's
Thank you for sharing!!!

Did you check out the mileage on the odometer? It looks to be in good condition to me. The door will require an old school metal master to repair the damage. The roof rails are available at the dealership but expensive.

I have been told a better solution is to purchase the S70 roof rails.

I've never seen a carbon fibre rear cover before! The front bumper is in excellent condition and very few rock chips on the hood.

Such a kwel car!!!

Last edited by T5-Rennen; 09-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM

My front bumper looks that good, but only because I bought one of the last remaining bumpers in dealer inventory to replace the thrashed one on my T5-R.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by T5-Rennen
Thank you for sharing!!!

Did you check out the mileage on the odometer? It looks to be in good condition to me. The door will require an old school metal master to repair the damage. The roof rails are available at the dealership but expensive.

I have been told a better solution is to purchase the S70 roof rails.

I've never seen a carbon fibre rear cover before! The front bumper is in excellent condition and very few rock chips on the hood.

Such a kwel car!!!

The roof rails on the S70 are a great replacement. I did that a couple weeks ago. Big difference.

I didn't look at the mileage. It was starting to get dark and I would have had too look really hard and I didn't want to tick off the wrong person. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the trip odometer would have read 0000 if you know what I mean.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by goldponcho
Ouch, I think I saw that same car last year, while driving my recently-sold wagon. I start a new job in Tacoma next week, so you might see another yellow sedan rolling through town. Seems to be a high concentration, if you can say at least 4 yellows is high!
Cool. I saw this down at Titlow Park. I had seen it before on the 509 freeway near the Port Of Tacoma.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM

I bought one of the last remaining bumpers in dealer inventory to replace the thrashed one on my T5-R.
That's cheating

Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM

My buddy and I saw it in the same area. I know of another one on Orchard and 26th, Harold. He says there's another pair within a few blocks of him. And I thought these things were rare! Here's mine:

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

This is rare...

Attached Thumbnails Saw a yellow T-5R in Tacoma tonight.-yellow-6.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 PM

Steve:
That looks really good! Do I see Prancing Moose stickers? I'm really torn about getting a set. I greatly prefer a stock look, but still...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 PM

RSPI:
Yeah, they were driving around the park. It might have been the last pleasant evening of the year. You should have heard the old starter crank on that baby, plus the OOHGA horn.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM

Steve:
That looks really good! Do I see Prancing Moose stickers? I'm really torn about getting a set. I greatly prefer a stock look, but still...
Yup, Dave Barton's prancing moose adorns both fenders and the trunk lid. Came with the car, but after seeing how badly the paint is bleached behind the license plate, I'm not going to pull those stickers until the car is ready (or rather my wallet is) for paint.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM

I've seen this guy on the freeway before, but tonight I saw him parked so I snapped a few pics. It looks kind of rough. Bad dent on rear driver's door, peeling roof rails, after-market seat cover on driver's side, etc.
It's an 18 year old vehicle. There are bound to be some issues on most vehicles of that age. I'd say it looks better than average for an 18 year old car.

My 97 855R has a hole rubbed in the drivers front bolster. Yeah, I'd like to fix it, but $1200 in reproduction seat covers aren't in the immediate budget. I talked to a couple upholsterers, and haven't found anyone who thinks they can repair it.

My car has a destroyed front bumper cover. Took me a few months to scrape the $400 together to buy one of the last new ones in existence in the US. I haven't budgeted the funds to repaint it yet, due to other issues taking precedence in my life. So, right now, it sits in a box.

I still enjoy driving it. I still wash it. I still clean it up regularly, and make the most I can out of it. Most people don't know what an 850R is, but I can tell on occasion when someone who is a Volvo aficionado sees it in a parking lot, or going down the road, and checks it out.

Right now, my biggest pressing automotive matter is buying some new tires before winter

You don't need a pristine car to love Volvos, or enjoy the fellowship I enjoy with my fellow Volvo owners. Seems like nearly every car is a 'work in progress', even the guys I've met with cars that looked pristine and perfect to me have a 'to-do' list.

Last edited by johnwartr; 09-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by johnwartr
Most people don't know what an 850R is, but I can tell on occasion when someone who is a Volvo aficionado sees it in a parking lot, or going down the road, and checks it out.
I always check out 850s, V70s and S70s. I saw a very clean white 854R at homedepot a while back and talked to the owner. He was surprised that I knew what he had.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Yup, Dave Barton's prancing moose adorns both fenders and the trunk lid. Came with the car, but after seeing how badly the paint is bleached behind the license plate, I'm not going to pull those stickers until the car is ready (or rather my wallet is) for paint.
Steve , You can make that car shine again with out paint. Single stage is VERY forgiving

Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Mat, the only single stage on that car is the new front bumper, trim under the headlights, and mirror caps. I had them all painted at the same time, the damage or various visible layers of paint were too much for me to look at. I've tried buffing the car, I'm pretty sure the last re-paint was a BC/CC job. Fine by me.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM

My buddy and I saw it in the same area. I know of another one on Orchard and 26th, Harold. He says there's another pair within a few blocks of him. And I thought these things were rare! Here's mine:
Well, I was in that part of town today and sure enough, there it was. This one was in better shape. No dented doors.

I'm not sure which one I was seeing on the freeway before.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwartr
My 97 855R has a hole rubbed in the drivers front bolster. Yeah, I'd like to fix it, but $1200 in reproduction seat covers aren't in the immediate budget. I talked to a couple upholsterers, and haven't found anyone who thinks they can repair it.
There is a link in the Classified Section where a guy makes those seat covers for about $575 a pair.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
There is a link in the Classified Section where a guy makes those seat covers for about $575 a pair.
Right, and I'd need 2 sets of them, to do both sides, and once you add the head rests in, it's around $1200.