Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Screaching for 1sec right when the car starts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaching for 1sec right when the car starts?

Hey people supp, i have got a problem. Its winter here and every day in mornin its like about -1 to 5 celcius. When i turn the car on sometimes right when it is about to turn on i here a high piched screath for about a second. , it sort of sounds like when the belt slips and makes a screach, but its a brand new belt. It only happens in the mornin once, after that through out the whole day it wont make that sound. And it also happens after i leave the car for 3 to 4 hours after a long drive.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Screaching for 1sec right when the car starts?

Greetings again from Chicagoland.

Finding noise is always a pain.

Cheap belts tend to screech, as they may not have enough grip. I would use OEM belt (Continental). Continental belts have visible patterns (treads) on the back of the belt, thus better grip.

Make sure nothing is leaking and getting on the belt surface. Could it be a tired starter?

Good luck,

JPN

Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM

What do tou mean by tired start?????

Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JPN is talking about a starter that is starting to die and is no longer operating at its peak.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM

im still a nooby when it comes to cars but if the starters is dieing it wont ruin the cars performance will it? And how long do u guys think it will last until i got to get a new one?/

Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland.

You're right, Mr. info2x. I wanted to say either the brushes in the starter are about to give in due to wear, or a pinion gear that is missing a tooth (or more), or the faulty solenoid that is not engaging the pinion gear with flywheel.

Without actually taking a look at your car, it is difficult to say what the problem is (Car Talk guys are funny, but modern automobiles cannot be diagnosed accurately without proper equipment, training & logical approach).

A bad starter does not affect the performance of your car, it just wouldn't let you start it. Judging from my alternator (very similar to starter in operational theory) failure, I would get a new starter if the odometer has more than 100,000 miles or if the car is over 10 years old. I have not replaced one in my 850, but it looks like a pain in the butt. Should you decide to replace it (that is, if the noise is from the starter or if the car has 100,000 miles/10 years with original starter), I would recommend buying an OEM starter (Bosch?).

However, if the noise is only annoying and not causing a drivability/starting problem, I would keep driving it and take a look at the engine compartment sometimes to make sure no fluid is leaking or nothing is hanging loose.

Good luck and stay warm.

JPN

Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with a high speed squeal for about one second after starting I would look at one of the pulleys on the serpentine belt system, look for a alternator pulley, idler pulley that may be starting to sieze, or perhaps the popwersteering pump or the A/C compressor aswell. something could be stiff on startind and the belt initally slips over the pulley. You could possibly try to eliminate the A/C compressor by unplugging the harness for the clutch on it. You should remove/or get removed the belt to check heach puley to see if they spin freely.

-Mike