Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Seat Removal Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Removal Procedure

I am going to use the seats from a dead 850 to upgrade my 240.
I will need to go to the wreckers with a few tools and little time to harvest them. (Yes I’m paying for them ).
Never having had an 850, how do you remove the front and rear seats.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM

I’m going to guess there’s a difference in the back seats between the sedan and the wagon – which do you have? Make sure you bring a can of PB Blaster for those bolts!

For the wagon, the front buckets are bolted on – not sure of the size, but I’d guess around 14mm. In my ’97, there’s a plastic cover that you have to wiggle off to expose the bolts. For the rear, and this is for my wagon, you tilt the seats forward, flip the red plastic handle down (located at the pivot hinge), then tilt the seat backward about 75% of the way and lift straight up. I’ve never undone the back rests, so I can only guess that there’s only a few bolts holding them in place at the bottom.

If you’re talking about a sedan, I would hazard a guess that the backrests are bolted to the frame and accessible from the trunk.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by vjaneczko
I’m going to guess there’s a difference in the back seats between the sedan and the wagon – which do you have? ............
It's a sedan. The front seats are usually easy to figure out, but rear seats always seem to be a combination of lift, rotate, slide press or whatever .

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each front seat is four bolts and usually a power/heat harness on the bottom. Also make sure to remove the seat control to expose the side impact airbag sensor and use the tool provided to block the sensor, it's hiding under neath the seat controls.

Bottom seats in the rear are just snapped into place. Grab the front of the seat and pull up. Bolsters are the same way, just yank them out. For the seat backs, tilt them forward, they pry out of their hing on the sides, once you get out of there they slide out of the middle "hinge".

Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Default From another thread:

-Remove the seat bottom
-Fold down the seatback
-Pull it towards the side of the car and lift up on the outboard edge of the seat at the same time.
I haven't tried this yet, but it makes sense: I was diddling around with the clip, but I can understand how pulling the seat toward it could release whatever hold the clip has on the hinge.
UPDATE: couple things:
1) Before attempting to lift out either seatback, a clip has to be removed from the outboard bracket. It's necessary to access the bottom of the clip in order to remove it, so first tilt the seat bottom forward. There's a "tongue" on the bottom of the clip that prevents it from moving vertically: press in on this tongue while pulling up or prying up on the top of the clip, and slide it up and out.
2) It IS necessary to force the seat in the outboard direction, in order to lift it out of its outboard bracket: I use a 3-foot prybar, placed between the inboard mounting bracket and the seat, and voila! NOTE: the seat's outboard hingepiece is spring-loaded (to make it easier to return it to the vertical position, I believe [these seats are HEAVY!]): the closer the seatback is to vertical, the less rotational pressure there is on the hingepiece, meaning less pressure inhibiting removal.

Last edited by chax; 10-22-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Important additional information
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Default Bolt sizes

All 8 bolts securing the front seats are 14mm. Pull the plastic bolt covers HORIZONTALLY, to remove. The bolts securing the rear seat belts are 17mm.