Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Secret GPS tracker, wtf!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret GPS tracker, wtf!

So, I dont know how many of you know about this, but aparently theres a type of car insurance plan that is marketed for parents so they can "protect" their children when they get in trouble, it includes a tracking device in your car and with a simple track you can tell where the vehicle has been and where it currently is. So my mom introduced this product to me because she sells insurance and I think this thing might be in my car. I was wondering if any of you would happen to know where this is located, much appreciated.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Default RE: Secret GPS tracker, wtf!

If I was a teenaged boy again and they said this would reduce the price of thepremium I would have signed up.The GPS system could work in your favor if you ever get stopped for speeding. But to answer your question,it could be as simple as your cell phone, to hard wired off your ignition. It has to get its power from somewhere...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're asking a very tough question. There are tons of places to put a generic little black box in a car.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 AM

Hey now joshconstipate,

Who's to say that it is only one unit that will be installed ? [sm=devilgrin.gif]

If you could find it, what would you do? If you were to deactivate it some how you parents would know almost immediatly. Wouldn't want to be inyour living room for that conversation [&o].

My suggestion is this. If it is your parents car, you shouldn't be driving like "Mario Idreadi In the Hood" since you won't be the one that has to fix the car(repairs are not cheap for a Volvo)when something wrong. Just drive as they expect you to and "fa-get-aboutit".

If it "is" for insurance purposes, remember that young men are nailed the hardest. And all it takes is one unfriendly [:@]smokey to make your current premium seem like chump change.Also with "Street Racer" laws taking effect all over, if that smokey wants to really mess with you, say your caught just over the posted and in the car by yourself, well , the "other guy got away" and now "your car" or rather "your parents car"goes away. Wouldn't want to be inyour living room for that conversation either. [sm=proof.gif](ticket $$, towing $$$, impound $$$$$)[sm=sigh.gif]

Remember, even the most careful person has bad luck.

I also agree that once installed, without knowing where to start, you'd never find it.

Oh, don't forget email alerts, tracking by cell phone, over speed limit(limit can be set as lowas 2 mph over and up)

Too many young people being silly so don't be one of them, not that you are, and enjoy the free car. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Wish I didn't have to pay for maintainance

Later.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely in the cabin or trunk, as electronic devices don't like heat, moisture& vibration. Such device is usually found around/behind/under the dash, floor, etc...Or you could have an attorney represent you and claim that your privacy has been violated......by your mom[8D]. Or, you could contact the US Air Force and ask to see if they can shut down the GPS, though I doubt on this one.

JPN

Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Hey now joshconstipate,

That's funny. Ask the Air Force to shut down the GPS System."Not gonna happen, wouldn't be prudent"

Lawyer? Invasion of privacy? If this is your parents car, you have no hope.

The law, in some states and provinces, allow for victims to hold parents financially accountable for there childrens actions and this is anissue of "property protection", like a home security system, and won't be removed because of your feelings of infringment. Again, their car, their rules.

If you really feel strongly about this then one can only suggest that you save your cash, buy your own car and insure it on your own. Your mom might be able to get you a deal on the insurance, but probally no where near what the cost would be to go under the "parental plan".

Andreally. Unless your going to be doing foolish things or going places that you shouldn't, what's the worry?

Your parents sound worried, but at least they have spoken to you about this. They could have installed the unit(s) and pulled the old, "Hey son. Where are you now?" And when you say, "I'm at "X" , but are at "Y", how would you feel when you went to the car and found them standing there? Or worse, found the car NOT THERE?!?!?!? Parents always keep spare keys.

So, as I said before, just enjoy the free car until you can get your own.

Later,

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your Mom is a pretty smart cookie. You don't know whether it's there or not, do you?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 AM

I agree with JimKW.

Maybe mom is playing "The Game" with you.

Best case - nothing there.
Worst case - you get home one day and they take the keys back because they got one too many email alerts or while looking at the computer and talking to you they find mismatched locations. [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Later,

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

JPN

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM

What is this post doing on an 850 forum?[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM

suck it up kid! if you lie all the time, you are gonna get it. if you are honest you are all set!

in either case there is only one REAL solution... get a job, pay your bills, get out of her house, buy your own car and pay for your own insurance, join the rest of the working stiffs and pay taxes, you'll LOVE it!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM

I'd avoid driving near any Air Force Base as the GPS unit will act as a tracking beacon and the pilots will think you have radar lock on them and are likely to let loose a laser guided munition to take out the source (uhhhh your car). It's probably a good idea to also steer clear of the homes of girls who have dad's that are gun owners. This of course is unrelated to the GPS device and is just good advice. These devices are reputed to cause impotence, so you may just prefer to not drive the car at all. Also, I'd advise not getting within 10 meters of the vehicle during any Space Shuttle launch or landing. There is a well known glitch which causes the Shuttles guidance systems to lock onto the signal and you could find yourself being forced to drive at a high rate of speed to avoid them thus tripping the GPS device and causing your insurance rates to skyrocket. It's unlikely your parents, or a judge, would believe you were actually being chased by the Space Shuttle - so best to just avoid being anything but a passenger in that Volvo.