Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Shocks, control arms, exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks, control arms, exhaust noise

Been pricing some shocks for my 850 and want to know how good are Gabriels? I want to buy the Sachs but the cost is a bit too high for me right now. Would the Gabriels be a good alternate? Also want to eliminate the squeaking and am weighing replacing shocks versus control arms. I don't know what to look for when I am under the car. Then there is the rattling noise under the car when I put it gear. Looked under to check exhaust pipe for it being loose but it is tight. Again don't know what to look for under there. Thanks for you help guys.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My research shows that Gabriel is not a very good product. However, I myself have never used them so they may be good. Whenever you buy parts for your car, look at the product itself or the package to see where they are made at.

If it were my 850, I would go with Bilstein Touring for good balance in handling & ride comfort. If you seek softer ride, you may want to go with Sachs-OEM. All adjustable devices are expensive.

If you are not experiencing difficulty controlling the car, especially after hitting bumps and the car keeps bouncing, you may wish to defer the repair until you have saved enough dough to buy decent products such as Bilstein. In automotive repair, 90+% of the time you get what you pay for.

As to squeak, I would replace the front strut upper spring seats. They cause either rattling or squeaking. As to the rattling under the car, have you checked the security of the heat shield for the exhaust?

If the ball joints are good (no play or torn rubber boot), defer replacement until it is necessary. What year is your 850? Volvo changed the design of the control arm sometime in 1994, and the older aluminium arms have replaceable ball joints whereas the newer steel arms do not have replaceable ball joints.

See attached for your ref. I circled the upper spring seat in red, and circled other items in green that I would replace if it were my 850. I replace major suspension parts (shocks & struts) at every 10 years/100,000 miles/160,000kms or less if needed to.

Other members may have different opinions so make sure to get a few more replies until you go out and spend money.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Shocks, control arms, exhaust noise-850-front-sus.jpg  

Last edited by JPN; 03-18-2009 at 10:23 AM.