Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Shocks and Struts Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Shocks and Struts Question

What are all the components that should/must be replaced when replacing all shocks, struts, and coil springs? Is Monroe a reliable brand? If I install lowered sports springs from IPD, https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4951...50-s70-v70-c70 , will the suspension end up level front to back or will I just look dumb? (a set of Sports coil springs are about the same cost as stock replacements so I figured, why not!)

Old 07-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

In the front, I'd replace the bump stop and the spring seat. Go heavy duty (ie IPD sells them) or OEM for the spring seat. You should also replace the bolts that hold the strut to the steering hub. I'd also look at the end links for the sway bar and replace if old (IPD also sells HD versions). As to the struts, make sure you check compatibility with lowering springs. They should be paired so I'd call IPD to check what they recommend, otherwise go stock and consider the IPD HD sway bars to improve your handling. In the rears, there is also shock mount and a bump stop. Consider doing both. I doubt the lowering will add a rake to the car, but you'll see a difference in how the wheels fill out the fender wells. Curious why you are considering replacing the springs. Are they sagging?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would I check compatibility between the shocks and spring coils? Springs are sagging moderately, the general ride height is lower than it should be (20 year old suspension and factory parts) and the bump stop fell out of place in my rear left coil... It's just bouncing around inside the coil...

Old 07-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

I'd call IPD and ask what shock brands/models match up well to their springs. The OEM Boge Sachs are actually pretty firm and should match well - Bilstein HD (not their Touring) would be the best match...

Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni Yellows pair well with the IPD HD springs...I'm running on them now, however I wish they were set to full soft. They are a bit rough on bumps at lower speeds, but on the highway they are great. I can't say much about how they are when they are new, mine came installed on the car and from what the previous owner told me they had about 15k on them when he put them on the car (bought them used from a forum member over at swedespeed/turbobricks, etc)

If I had a choice I would probably install regular Koni STR.T, Koni FSD's, or double adjustable Koni Yellows instead for a daily driver, paired with some slightly softer (and taller) springs, then install better swaybars. The car handles fantastic with the current setup, I cannot stress that enough (and the "no questions asked" lifetime warranty on the struts/shocks is great) but the ride quality does get a bit harsh at times on these PA roads and the interior rattles get a bit annoying at times.

I've also noticed on full soft the front end seems to be a little light and tends to roll, causing the 205/55-16 tires to rub. This could be due to the struts being worn in (which seems most likely)...

I think once I am ready to replace them I may actually try the Bilsteins (which get a great review) or step down to the Koni reds (SRT.T line)

In a perfect world, I'd also consider KYB AGX adjustables (mainly for the ability to adjust them on car and because I'm partial to KYB products), but it seems they aren't made for our cars...

Last edited by 97-850Wagen; 07-16-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Bilsteins and decided to go Koni Yellows. Wish I would not have made that change. Bilsteins are crisp and felt to me to have more control of the car even with all the adjustment Koni offered.