Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Stalling issues/Midas just replaced fuel pump two weeks ago

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling issues/Midas just replaced fuel pump two weeks ago

Hi,
I just joined the site because I'm having some issues with my 1993 volvo 850 glt. It had stalled and failed to not restart a couple weeks ago so I had it towed to Sears. Sears determined that the fuel pump was the problem and it needed to be replaced and they didn't have the tools to do the job so I would have to take it to a volvo dealership. I ended up calling around to see if there was a place that would do it cheaper then volvo. I settled on Midas. They supposedly put a refurbished fuel pump in and it ran decent after that. Now I'm having stalling issues again and it's not starting the first couple tries. It feels like heat is coming from the engine to the inside if the car by the steering wheel while I'm driving. It felt like heat was coming from engine inside by steering wheel before the fuel pump was replaced. I took the car back to Midas today and they said that the fuel pump relay needs to be replaced. The guy hand me the relay and told me that it's not supposed to hot the way it is. The relay felt felt pretty warm , "hot" is kind of stretching it a bit at the time. He also said that there is a fuel injection knocking going on as well. He said $170.00 total to replace the relay and hope that fixes the problem. So I started googling the fuel relay and i discovered that it's a $56.00 fuse that I can replace myself so auto zone ordered it and I will put it in tomorrow. But how do I know that Midas is being honest with me? They told me 170 for the repair which is basically robbing me! So now I'm Leary that the relay is actually the problem and I'm wondering if they did in fact really replace the fuel pump. Also I am constantly refilling the antifreeze. I can't believe how fast this car is going through antifreeze! And there STILL feels like there is heat coming from the engine into the car by the steering wheel as I'm driving. Also my drivers seat feels like it's heating up ever since the fuel pump was replaced. The seat never got warm/hot before the pump was replaced. Any help/suggestions/views/opinion/thoughts/insight ect is welcome and very much appreciated! Thanks for reading my very lengthy post lol
Sherry

Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pump relay is a very common cause of the stalling.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 PM

I think you have a 21 year old car and like the rest of us you need to pick up a manual and at least go through the codes so you go to a shop with a little knowledge. I had to replace the relay on mine and then I had to replace the fuel pump because both had issues.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Re: The coolant loss. Check your heater core for a possible leak or the flow/return hoses to it going thru the firewall. Your carpets may feel a bit wet too if it is the heater that is accounting for your coolant fluid losses.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum

If you do a search here and or Google you will see the fuel pump relay pop us as a very common culprit for stalling, intermittent hard or no start.

You can try to find another in a salvage yard but it might not have (any) much more life than yours, you can fix it yourself or just break down and get a new one.

How to repair: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?p=32573

Volvo 850 Parts | FCP Euro

Product Search: "fuel pump relay"

There is a difference in the turbo and non-turbo fuel pump relays if you go salvage yard shopping

Attached Thumbnails Stalling issues/Midas just replaced fuel pump two weeks ago-fuel-pump-relay-2.jpg