Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Starter and AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter and AC Question

My mom is having a couple of issues with her 1997 850 N/A. The first is when she starts the car it makes a god awful squeeling, but it stops as soon as the motor starts. I told this to a friend who owns a shop and he said the starter could be going bad. Does sound like a correct diagnosis, and how would I be able to test the starter? I did some searching and found that the starter is in the front and easily replaced, but where is it exactly? A couple of the picture links in other threads did not work.

The second is when she turned on her AC when I was under the hood, the compressor would tun on, then turn right off, and repeat. I'm guessing that the AC needs to be recharged. I was looking at the recharge kits you can buy with the leak sealer, but if the 134a is leaking out of a seal that isn't going to help for very long, so I was wondering what in the AC system has a tendency to leak first.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mjwaterma
The second is when she turned on her AC when I was under the hood, the compressor would tun on, then turn right off, and repeat. I'm guessing that the AC needs to be recharged. I was looking at the recharge kits you can buy with the leak sealer, but if the 134a is leaking out of a seal that isn't going to help for very long, so I was wondering what in the AC system has a tendency to leak first.
Can't help with the first question. As far as the second goes, could be the compressor needs to be reshimmed, which I personally haven't done, but I hear it's easy. I think there is a writeup on here.

The second (and probable) situation is that it is low on 134a. There are two main failure points in the 850's a/c system. One is the receiver/dryer aka accumulator, which hangs down behind the radiator on the passenger side. It looks like a 12" long cylinder situated vertically. Mine rusted out the bottom, it will be obvious if it has failed. It is easy to replace, and the part is around $100 or so.

The second (and most time consuming) is the evaporator inside the dash. There really is no way to tell if it has failed outside of trouble shooting everything else. There is an excellent writeup to repair the evap however plan to take a weekend to do it. The part is around $150.

I simply recharged my system every year with 134a. It seemed to last 4 months or so per charge, however now it is down to about 3-4 weeks. I will be replacing my evaporator this spring.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter is below the intake manifold where the engine and transmission mate up together. I was able to get it out by removing the airbox, the intake hose, and loosening the transmission dipstick. It will come out easier if you also remove the fan but I was able to snake it around things without doing so.

...Lee

Last edited by Ozark Lee; 03-18-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

FYR.

The 2nd pic is a courtesy of our member Robrike.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Starter and AC Question-850-pcv.jpg   Starter and AC Question-rob-rms-3-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Any way to tell if the starter is going bad before it goes completely out like taking it out and putting an electrical connection to it?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The solenoid on the starter should extend the pinion gear once powered. If the solenoid is faulty, the engine wouldn't start because the pinion gear is not engaging with the ring gear on the flywheel.

I would also check the serpentine accessory drive belt for signs of glazing.

Wait for others' replies as well.

JPN

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

If the car starts when you crank, then solenoid is not a problem but the starter motor must be making noise from aging and running dry which means that its time to replace it.

For airconditioning, If compressor is engaging and disengaging, then its not a major leak at all and you will be good by just refilling it.