Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Hi Guys,
Happy holidays,
I'm having a slight starting problem with my 95 850. First, I started to get a hard start and the next day the battery was dead. I replaced the battery and for some reason the car gives trouble to start if it is sitting for a while. In the morning when I go to start the car to go to work it gives problem. When you turn the key you would get nothing, you wait like five seconds and try it again and it would start like nothing is wrong. I also have an alarm with remote start and if I try to start it from the house it does not start. it goes two or three cycles before it actually starts. Can someone help me solve that problem.
Thanks
Riculus

Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Starting issues

When it won't start does the engine crank over?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. Riculus,

I am curious as to what kind of battery you bought. Some franchise store batteries are defective to begin with, as they have been sitting on the shelf too long and the electrolyte level might be low.

Also, it seems like there might be a parasitic drain somewhere. I had similar problem recently and tracked down the problem, it was the glove box light that was stuck on even with the lid closed. After I took out the bulb, the problem was solved. If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the battery voltage in the morning to see if it's falling below 12V.

As to the remote problem, I couldn't help you since I never had such fancy device.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 AM

Thanks guys,
Tech the engine does not crank. All you hear is is click or sometimes it does not even click.

JPN I have to check the battery but I think I saw it delivered in Ovember of 2006 and i need the remote start for the winter, I live in NY and leave early in the morning for work.

Could my problem be the starter.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 AM

I'd be having a good look at the starter motor solenoid.

Could possibly be badly pitted contacts.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 AM
JPN

Hello again Mr. Riculus,

I lived in Vermont for 5.5 years and I know how winter in North East is like, it's COLD. Remote is a nice feature up there, as well as engine block heater if you have a garage.

I'm still inclined to guess there's a parasitic drain (in some cars, when the battery is dying all you hear is clicking). If the battery is of November this year, it's probably ok. Check the voltage and electrolyte level, unless if it's maintenance-free type. If the top of the plates are not covered with liquid, add just enough distilled water to cover them, but again the battery is new so this may not be the case. When removing battery caps, eye-protection is a must. Some people often act macho (especially mundane mechanics) and neglect wearing it, but the other day when I removed the cap, it popped right off the battery, even though I tried to remove it carefully.

If the starter is of original, it is not a bad idea to get it replaced (if the engine starts like nothing happened after a few attempts, it may well be the starter solenoid as other experts have noted). Try not to save money on cheap parts, go with Bosch or whatever the OEM starter. I just checked FCP Groton of Connecticut and rebuilt Bosch is about $175 with core, brand new NSA is $159. Unfortunately, most automotive electrical motors have brush that eventually wear out (some aircraft use brushless generator, though).

I hope the problem gets fixed soon, nothing is more annoying than a car that does not start right up.

Happy Holidays,

JPN

Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you hear clicking then I would also look at the starter.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:30 PM

Thanks guys,
I would check on the starter, I have to go the mechanic to replace the emergancy brake pads the week. Thanks again for you inputs and enjoys the holidays.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Happy New year guys,
Thanks for all the advice that was gining to me for my my car in 2006 and I look forward for your help in 2007. Anyway I finally got to the mechanic and got that starter changed(12/27). My problem is solved. Thanks again

Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 AM
JPN

Well done! Excellent head start for the New Year!

Sincerely,

JPN