Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Steering vibration ( stumped)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering vibration ( stumped)

So Ive got a bit of a Mind F**k going on here

First off Ive got crazy steering vibration in the drivers front around 60-70mph and up to the point it makes things squeak in my interior and it kinda sucks driving it this has came outa no where over the last two weeks and continually gotten worse

I had a bad axle which I thought was the issue .. but I replaced it 2 days ago with a reman unit

still there .

so I replaced both inner and outer Tie rod end on the drivers side

Still there

Tried switching wheels .. nothing

it acts as if there is a knot on the tire but there isnt .. ( thats the best way I can describe it, sorry)
when coasting at low speed you can let go of the wheel and watch it jerk back and forth .. on the same spot of the tire (again as if it had a knot)
( I will make a video and post it if that would help you guys figure this out )

at this point Im kinda stumped .. Im not getting a wheel movement while the car is jacked .. in any direction .. and no clanking .. there is no noise ..so I dont assume wheel bearing

any help is greatly appreciated .. Ive got to make a 10 hour round trip to North Carolina this coming weekend .. and I cant miss it so Im in a slight rush :*(

thanks for your time , Leah

Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you checked the strut or strut mount? If you rotated the tires it shouldn't be the problem. If you had it in the air and you have no movement 3 to 9 or 6 to 12 it sounds like the control arm and links are fine. You can have a bent wheel. Go get the wheels balanced, they will tell you if you have a bent wheel.

Last edited by rspi; 08-19-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM

hey thanks for the reply .. I had a set of XR wheels I threw on just to see if that was the issue (bent rim) and its still there regardless what set I use ... Im a poor college girl and cant afford to keep throwing money into it .. I have no clue what else it could be some one suggested a bent rotor but I dont get the typical brake stutter when braking another friend said maybe the rack is going bad .. but there isnt any play .. and whatever the issue is rotating

oh and the strut / mount are fine

Last edited by Hypnopirate; 08-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm at a loss. If you don't get help here soon, try posting on www.MatthewsVolvoSite.com.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm having a constant, rhythmic vibration at between 50-70mph as well. It's coming from the front L side where the PO went over a curb. I can feel it through the steering wheel and through my seat. I've replace the outer tie-rod (had some play), Lower control arm (bushings were worn), and vibration still there. My half shaft looks good with cv boots not torn or leaking. There is no clicking sound when I make full turns L or R and alignment is straight. About to replace the L hub assembly (comes with bearing) I hope this fixes the problem, I'll let you know if it does. I know how frustrating it is!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What brand of tires do you have? How old are they?

I'd go after it in this order:
1. Wheel balance.
2. Bent rim.
3. Damaged tire that balances OK but vibrates at highway speed.
4. Drive axle - binding CV joint.
5. Binding brake caliper.
6. Wheel bearing.
7. Corrosion on wheel hub causing rim not to sit flush against hub.
8. Engine mount(s).
9. Steering rack bushings.

Looks like you have eliminated tires/rims as the cause, though I wouldn't completely discount that you have more than one unbalanced or bent wheel.

So, maybe.....
1. You replaced the wrong drive axle.
2. The Chinesium replacement drive axle is bad out of the box.
3. You have one or more bad engine mounts.
4. You have a binding brake caliper OR brake disc with rough spots. Does the car sit a lot without being driven?

I would (safely) jack the front of the car and spin each front wheel, looking carefully for bent rims or any non-uniformities in the tires. Also check the tires are rotating true and not rocking side to side as a result of corrosion on the rims or hub mounting surface. While spinning the wheels, feel for any spots where the wheel seems to bind, then figure out if the binding is the brakes, the wheel bearing or a binding CV joint. Maybe clean up both sides of each brake disc with a rotary wire brush (or similar) on an electric drill. Get under the car (jack stands or better - ramps) and tug on the steering rack, looking for side to side motion. Tug on both drive axles, looking for slop or play in the CV joints. Put a pry bar on the engine mounts and look for excessive motion. Visually inspect all the engine mounts for cracking or separation.

That should keep you busy.

Last edited by migbro; 08-20-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could have a warped brake rotor. It will cause a pulsing in the brake pedal and if it's bad enough, it will cause a pulse or jerk in the steering wheel as the rotor tries to turn the wheel from left to right as the high side then low side hit opposite sides of the calipers brake pads.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Can you safely get a sound clip/video of the problem while driving? Found this guy on youtube who has an 850 and has the same exact noise as mine. Is this what yours sounds like?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>