Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Strut replacement / Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement / Upgrade

I have a volvo 850R at 125k miles and the passenger forward strut makes a loud noise every I go over a bump of any shorts. Should I stick with OEM struts or should I go with maybe belstin after marked struts ? And when I have the front end torn apart is there anything that I should replace that wears out and is worth doing now ? Money is tight but I want todo it right.

Appreciate any help.

izinux

Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

A lot of people replace the strut mounts while there. Other than that, any parts that are worn. If you are not real familiar, you may want to take the car to an alignment shop to see if they align it. They usually wont, and give you a list of things that need to be replaced before they can do so (that's how they make more money). If they do it without trying to change other parts then just do the struts and mounts (at the top of the struts).

The R's have a little stiffer suspension. If you like the way the car rides/handles now just get someting similar to the oem struts. I put a set of Bilsteins on our S70 and I love them. They were used and are a little stiff but they respond to bumps well and take those speed bumps like spiders.

Last edited by rspi; 10-13-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 AM

Thanks Ill take a look at the strut mounts. Im going to first just pull the tires off and look around. I might put the Bilsteins on if they need to be replaced. My brothers BMW 325i has them and it rides like no other.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used them all - except Konis since they cost more for a set than I have paid for any of my cars to begin with.

From your description of the problem your spring seat(s) are broken. When you replace spring seats use only OEM XC90 spring seats. They fit just fine into the 850 and V/S series cars and they are beefier for about $5.00 more per side.

As far as struts and shocks are concerned, I like the handling with the Bilstien Touring Class products but they are a tad harsher than OEM on the ride. I had an emergency replacement on my son's car and all we could get locally were the Monroe struts and shocks. They ride a bit - and I do mean just a bit - smoother than the OEM setup but the handling is like mush.

I recently changed (at least partially) my wifes struts with the Sachs OEM struts and, when new, they are very good and a decent compromise on ride vs. handling and since she has a stick I drive the crap out of her car - when she isn't in it with me.

My 2c,

...Lee

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Without completely removing the strut pistons, spring mounts and top bearing, it is difficult to predict what really needs to be replaced. If you have time and less money, take the front apart and purchase only what you think you need.

I did not have time to disassemble and selectively order when I recently did my front end. Got the IPD Sachs front strut kit which was more parts than really necessary but now I know everything is new and the Sachs are about as stiff as I want the feel.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozark Lee
From your description of the problem your spring seat(s) are broken. When you replace spring seats use only OEM XC90 spring seats. They fit just fine into the 850 and V/S series cars and they are beefier for about $5.00 more per side.

As far as struts and shocks are concerned, I like the handling with the Bilstien Touring Class products but they are a tad harsher than OEM on the ride.
+1 - Bilstien Touring and XC90 spring seats.