Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Sunroof Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Predicament

Hope I spelled that right. Ha ha. Anyway, my sunroof is having problems. Several months ago I let my dad drive my car. He didn't know how the sunroof works. So, when he went to close it from the vent position he push the lower part of the switch to close it as it should. However, I think he push it again so the sunroof was getting ready to slide back, for the back portion was lowered. He didn't know that the sunroof wasn't fully close, so he tried to close the shade. The shade wouldn't close so my dad put a little force on it to close it. Later I notice that the sunroof was still open, therefore I went to close it. However it wouldn't move besides the vent position and the position where it would get ready to slide back. Tried to move it several times and then I heard this loud crack sound and then I would close. After that it was fully operational again. Then two days ago when I tried to open the sunroof I heard the same sound again and it wouldn't slide back. 30 min later I tried it again and a fainter sound of plastic snaping or engaging and then it would work. Now it's fully operational again. I wonder what would have cause this to happen? Also, for the past 12 1/2 yrs my aunt and uncle who brought it new had never once used it, not even sliding the shade back until the last 1 1/2 yrs I owned it did I used it frequently. I did lube the tracks when I first got it.

Thanks for looking,
MC92

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The plastic (ABS) portion of the track rail may be about to disintegrate or the plastic tabs on the shade may have popped out of the place. That sunroof is not a very good design.

I would inspect the track to see if there are any debris. If the tracks look fine, then I would check the plastic tabs on the shade; this may require a strong flashlight.

See attached for ref.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof Predicament-850-sunroof.jpg   Sunroof Predicament-850-sunroof-track.jpg