Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing belt and coolant question for now

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt and coolant question for now

So I've got my first Volvo, a 95 850 Wagon. It has about 190,000 miles, but seems in pretty good shape.

However, it looks like the last time the timing belt was replaced was about 7 years and 120,000 miles ago, so it is more than due. My question is since it is only the second time it is going to be replaced, and it has high miles, what else should I replace "while I'm in there?"

Also what coolant should I use? I know in my BMWs, people swear by the factory BMW coolant. Should I get the Volvo coolant at the dealer?

As I get more into the car, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions.

Thanks

John

Old 10-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Timing belt and coolant question for now

Just regular coolant from is fine. I would not hardly even drive the car until the timing belt is changed. That's way too long.

And whatever you do, if the car stalls, DO NOT try to start it! That's when you will mess up the valves.

I would change the pulleys, belt tensioner and have the water pump checked to see if it needs changed. Would also do serpentine belt and new hoses.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Ordered the timing belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump this afternoon.

The serpentine belt was replaced more recently, I'll look at it when I've got stuff apart. If that goes, it won't destroy my engine.

The hoses also look "reasonable". Might wait some to replace those as well. My main use of the car is to commute 15 miles each way to/from work, so even if it dies on me, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But it would be better not to be stranded.

John

Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

YEs, as Jim KW said, replace the belt, all pulleys, the tensioner, and do the same for the serpentine belt system. Also, I would change the water pump, thermostat,and the hoses while I am in there. I did that last year on our 95 850 turbo, and it took about 3/4 of a day 's work and about $350 to do it , but the peace of mind is worth it

Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks again. Hopefully the belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump will be at my house today or tomorrow.

The other stuff I can get at the local auto parts store if I need it. I was looking mostly to make sure that I don't miss something that is easy to replace with the timing belt out such as the water pump that would be difficult to replace later.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi John,

I have not much else to add, as Jim &Psaboic have answered pretty much all you need to know.

If I were to give you one advice, stick to OEM parts whenever possible (except for consumables such as oil, coolant, washer fluid, light bulbs, etc...). Volvos, as well as other auto mfgs, are very sensitive to the quality of parts.

Good luck on the timing belt replacement, make sure that no oil/coolant gets on the belt as it weakens the belt.

Cheers,

JPN