Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Timing belt replacement interval sticker

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt replacement interval sticker

Does anyone know where I can get one.I did not get one in my timing belt kit.TIA

Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM

In the past, I once got a sticker from my local dealer. Some dealers may not be keen on giving you one if it has the dealer name on it. Obviously that would imply that they did the work. At the time, my dealer was using a generic sticker.

I also have the benefit of having a very good (IMO) local dealer. In my dealings with them, they generally impress me as being very customer friendly. Obvioulsy you're expeirences may be different.

Aside from that one occasion though, I usually just write it on the T-belt cover. I have one of those paint pens, like the junk yards use to mark their parts. Not as pretty as a sticker, but it won't come off when I pressure wash my engine compartment.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Go back to the folks you bought the kit from, get them to rob one from another kit box, or just write it in you service book if you done yourself.or use masking tape under the bonnet/hood and write it there.
I always write it on the cam cover in white permanent marker. jd

Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a sheet of old vinyl stickers. I used to use them to label my VCR tapes but they come in handy for all sorts of labeling. They are removable so if you hang on to the vehicle you just pop a new one on and if you get too close to it with a pressure washer you just pop a new one on. Just write down the info before you wash the engine or if you're here anyway, hopefully you keep a list of maintenance and repairs on a sheet in your computer. These and a black permanent marker work great.
The paint pen is wonderful but I've had trouble finding them lately. In searching I did find them at Oreilly auto parts made by Pioneer Inc. Part # T5118W for seven bucks.
I have been using a tube of white touchup paint to mark things like fuel filters so I know when the last date and miles I did it. You toss it away so being permanent doesn't matter. For the timing belt I like something I can easily update as I'll likely have it for a few belts.

The pens also come in handy to mark things you've replaced if you're working for others. You do a right but not a left of something and you just slap an initial on it so you know which one you did should you not have paperwork and again it's a way you can show someone that you did this and not that.
I used to keep a bottle of blue metal flake nail polish in my tool box just to dab on carburetor adjustment screws. It was a foolproof and discussion less way to know if the cars owner was in there and tried to improve on my settings. Owners used to love to play with carb adjustments and once they really screwed it up bring it back and blame it on you (me). If the blue was knocked out of the slot I knew and could prove someone had been in there.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I would love to have some timing belt stickers. Anytime I need to sell a car, just slap on a sticker and back date it about 5,000 miles/4 months and I'm ahead of the sales game.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are now going to make a whole bunch of people wonder about their sticker and they'll be pulling covers to make sure their timing belt doesn't look original.

Don't wait till your belt looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails Timing belt replacement interval sticker-timing-belt-ripped.jpg   Timing belt replacement interval sticker-timing-belt-broken-half.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM

When I buy a car, first thing I do is the timing belt. I don't care what the owner says, unless they have paperwork from a shop, and even then I still pull the cover and check it.

If they've got reciepts, and say they did it themselves, I check for a new tensioner, pulley, and water pump, but even still, unless the belt is obviously new I replace it.

I'm guessing you're joking about the stickers, but there are people who would do stuff like that. I know of an instance where a guy replaced the belt on his car, and passed off the reciepts with another car they were selling.

Ten bucks for a belt is cheap insurance.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mudpie
I know of an instance where a guy replaced the belt on his car, and passed off the reciepts with another car they were selling.
Dang, that person never watched "My Name Is Earl". Just crummy. He'll pay for that crap sooner or later.

I really like the OEM stickers. They are kinda like aluminum and the writing goes deep in the thickness of it and you can see it even if the writing is not visable.

The sad thing about it is most people don't know how to find the sticker.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually use a paint pen to write important numbers on the air cleaner or on the underside of the hood. Stickers loose their stick and fall off after a short time.
Ed

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I stuck my last tb sticker in the glove box door because I knew people would see it all the time. In 5k, I have no idea where that sticker went.