Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Tranny won't shift at all, hot or cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny won't shift at all, hot or cold

I bought a 1994 Volvo 850 from a friend of mine who was moving away. I had driven it many times and knew it ran just fine, other than the stalling out whenever it got lower than half a tank (read about the in tank fuel pump earlier today which was what I suspected.) The day arrived when they were leaving and I took possession of the car. But it only barely managed to back out of the driveway and then would go no further. They said it ran fine when they took it to get burgers a couple nights before that. The motor still ran fine so we let it run for several minutes in case it needed to warm up, although this is Arizona and it was close to 90 degrees out that day. A couple hours later I tried it again and managed to drive it about a tenth of a mile to my house, where it quit moving as I was turning in to my driveway. Prior to that day they'd had to use the shift override button several times and had also had issues with the ignition switch and the lights. On that final day the shift lever could be moved from P to N, D, etc. The motor could be heard changing rpm accordingly as if shifting normally but the car just wouldn't move. Any thoughts? I'd like to fix the car and drive it because it was at one time very dependable but I can't afford to replace the tranny if it comes to that. If that's the case I will probably try parting it out since I can't see sending the motor and all to the crusher. Someone please tell me something good!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The good thing is that you don't have car notes on it. Other than that a lot of stuff you wrote does not make a lot of sense. A transmission usually doesn't just stop shifting in all gears. It usually has a gradual deterioating effect. So, my guess is that you have a bad PNP switch which can be fixed with ZERO money. There is ways to figure out if it's the PNP switch. I think this switch is the current #1 reason for these cars going to the bone yard at this time.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=29930

When you drove the car home, did it drive normal or were you driving like 5 mph? Also, when you put your foot on the gas, did the engine rev up?

If you decide to get a new or referbished switch, they range from $65 to $220 at the stealer.

Last edited by rspi; 12-03-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 PM

A couple things you need to check before you dive a little deeper...

What does the trans fluid look and smell like? Whats the level?

Will the shifter move if you push in the shift lock over ride? (If so then you need a new microswitch)..

Are you throwing any codes? Flashing arrow?

Has the PNP switch ever been inspected for alignment?

EDIT: I know I sated some of what RSPI said but he beat me to hitting submit iguess .... LOL so +1 with RSPI

Last edited by MattyXXL; 12-03-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: RSPI types too fast
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the replies! To answer your questions:
1. When I drove the car home I drove anywhere from 5-20 mph simply because it was only around 30 ft to a stop sign, turned left and it was only another 150-200 ft to my yard. The motor did rev up when I stepped on the gas.
2. The tranny fluid looked and smelled normal but was way overfilled and there were no codes or flashing arrows.
3. I don't know if the PNP has ever been inspected for alignment.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you checked the fluid was the fluid warm and did you have the engine running, shift through the gears one at a time and then while still running check it in Park?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Now that the car is home, when you start it, does it let you rev the motor? I believe you said that it does let you shift into gears, if so, I would shift it into gear, wait till the car moves, drive it around for at least 20 minutes to warm up the fluid in the tranny, then check the level with the proceedures in the manual. Again, I doubt the transmission has totally failed all the sudden.

You may also want to make sure all of the wheels turn. Jack up the side of the car and make sure the rear wheels are not locked. These cars have a history of the hand brake cables breaking and locking the rear wheels. I don't even set my parking brake, EVER!