Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Transmission Light On

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Light On

Hello, everyone --

New to the forum. New to Volvos.

I have a 94 Volvo 850 N/A. It's got 157,000 miles. Bought it in July with good records and strong maintenance history.

Went out this morning and fired it up. Transmission light was flashing. No check engine light. Couldn't help but drive it to work. It shifted perfectly at the intervals specified in a repair manual online. No odd sounds. Tried rowing the shifter, etc. No dice. Light stayed on. Check the fluid (which was changed 1k miles ago). Looked dynamite. Smelled even better.

I'm inclined to believe that I should have a Check Engine Light on, too, right?

While sitting at a light today, I did notice that many of the lights on the dash flickered on and off at one stop light (sort of like it looks like when a car stalls out). But the car didn't stall. Chugged it home.

Took a look at the Hanyes manual the previous owner included with the car. Noticed that he had starred the Code 1-2-4, which is Short To Ground In Mode Selector Switch Circuit, as though he'd had that problem before. Because I can't notice any mechanical defects, I'm inclined to think this problem might have returned.

Questions: 1.) does this seem reasonable? 2.) if so, how do I go about fixing this short? does a barely-shade-tree guy like me have a chance? 3.) am I doing any harm by driving around with this problem? 4.) if I don't have a check engine light on, shouldn't I assume there are no codes in the ECU?

Please answer any or all of these questions. I'm just trying to avoid having a shop charge me an unreal amount of money to pull codes that might not exist, or might be easily dealt with (or ignored).

Old 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the OBD-1 port for codes under the hood near the passenger side head light. Once you get the codes, reset them and see if it comes back. I'm sure it has codes stored, likely just pending. Some people unplug the battery for 30 minutes to reset things. Make sure you have the radio code first.

Did you read the NEW 850 OWNER thread?

If it's driving good, you're likely ok. My guess is that something is going on with your alternator or battery cables if your dash lights tried to come on.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Yeah -- I know that thread very well.

Been through a few months of hell trying to get this car straightened out. New control arms, tranny flush, flame trap, and some other goodies.

I don't have the foggiest idea how to pull codes. I just don't wanna ruin anything. I really think it's probably a wire coming off ground, but not sure.

Should I take it to a shop?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Search here and www.MatthewsVolvoSite.com to learn how to pull codes. All you really have to do is pull the jumper wire and plug it into #3, put the button one time and count the flashes. You can read codes in #7 and maybe #2 as well. After it goes through the codes you hold it down for 5 seconds to clear them.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Sounds simple enough. I'll try it out. Hope it's nothing serious. Car's hardly worth the scrap weight of the tranny, let alone a new one.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There really isn't anything you can mess up while trying to read the codes as long as you don't try jumping something with a homemade jumper or applying power to the test console.

It's pretty idiot proof, I've even used it

Yours being a 96, I'm just not sure you have one. If you follow the directions at Matthewsvolvosite it's pretty simple.
If you have that panel it's in the front near the windshield reservoir fill neck.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Light On-obd-i-diagnostic-port.jpg   Transmission Light On-diagnostic-panel-under-hood.jpg  
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has a 94......it's in the first post.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog

Yours being a 96,
96 Doesnt have ODB I

Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 AM

What we have here...Is a failure to communicate...