Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

turbo on non turbo 850??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo on non turbo 850??

I am wondering about the possibility of upgradeing a 95/96 volvo 850 to have a turbo. Would this engine have the correct fitting for a 15g 16t etc?? Would a t3/t4 do better because it was not stock? Is it even possible?? just wondering for a friend, thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: turbo on non turbo 850??

1. You need to become a member of http://www.volvospeed.com
However I WARN YOU KNOW, DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT ASK THIS QUESTION ON THAT FORUM. It is beat to death. And the answer you will get is sell the N/A and buy a turbo.

To be honest this is the best option. Sell the N/A and buy a turbo model.

2. If you really want to do this, get ready to shell out the cash. I would say anywhere from $1500-$3000

3. A tiny list of what you would need

-The turbo
-Intercooler
-Intercooler hard pipes
-Downpipe
-Turbo hoses
-Couplers
-Vaccum lines
-Boost/Vaccum gauge
-Possibly bigger injectors
-Oil lines
-And most importantly proper ECU tuning, which will be kind of hard I would think. Since it has to be totally custom, I would look into RICA for good ECU tuning, CIVINCO, or some other standalone system that people are talking about over on Volvospeed.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 PM

I will also say it, sell the n/a and get a turbo model. It is honestly way cheaper to do so.

Plus you can get some nice power from an already turboed Volvo.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:05 AM

From what I remember reading, volvo had to reduce the bore of the 2.5 down to 2.3 for the turbo to increase cooling. So I suppose you'd have to watch the engine temps as well.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 AM

https://volvoforums.com/m_22280/tm.htm

My thoughts -- r213faq

You are fighting against several things -- other than proper boost levels...

Ignition timing really needs to retard under boost -- your factory 1993 GLT ECU can't do that.
Ignition timing really needs to advance under decelleration -- your factory ECU is already doing that.

Other makes of cars have boost compensating fuel pressure regulators. The fuel pressure increases 1 psi for each 1 psi of boost -- such that fuel pressure doesn't drop during boost.

My reply to someone who had...
a. OEM ECU for managing injectors
b. MAF intercepter custom MAF map for adjusting MAF signal to ECU
c. MSD Boost Master for managing ignition timing
d. Larger fuel injectors
e. Bosch RRFPR

A few thoughts for discussion...
1) Turbo(s) place a lot of stress on exhaust valves. I don't know details of OEM N/A exhaust valves. You may need to replace with Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves.

2) From what I've read on other forums, the MSD Boost Master is very slow to react to changes in boost. This problem may have been corrected by MSD. This is something that you should investigate. How quickly is your ignition timing retarded when you go into boost?

3) It may be worthwhile just to simply eliminate OEM ECU and MSD Boost Master and replace with a nice aftermarket ECU. Instead of attempting to fool your OEM ECU with clever tricks (disabling O2 sensor at WOT and adjusting MAF signal) -- using an aftermarket ECU you can custom/program fuel and igntion with your laptop. Don't forget wideband O2 sensor.

4) Another Fuel Pressure Regulator worth mentioning...
http://www.bellengineering.net/fmu2020.html
http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020.htm

And lastly...

I need confirmation on this, but I believe that the engine block from your 1996 850 Turbo (VIN 57) has oil squirters to spray underside of pistons. Squirters are not needed for lubrication, but rather for cooling pistons and cylinder walls.

I appreciate your ambition and motivation, but you will have to fight against many obstacles to make your car a smooth daily driver.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: robert213

https://volvoforums.com/m_22280/tm.htm

My thoughts -- r213faq

You are fighting against several things -- other than proper boost levels...

Ignition timing really needs to retard under boost -- your factory 1993 GLT ECU can't do that.
Ignition timing really needs to advance under decelleration -- your factory ECU is already doing that.

Other makes of cars have boost compensating fuel pressure regulators. The fuel pressure increases 1 psi for each 1 psi of boost -- such that fuel pressure doesn't drop during boost.

My reply to someone who had...
a. OEM ECU for managing injectors
b. MAF intercepter custom MAF map for adjusting MAF signal to ECU
c. MSD Boost Master for managing ignition timing
d. Larger fuel injectors
e. Bosch RRFPR

A few thoughts for discussion...
1) Turbo(s) place a lot of stress on exhaust valves. I don't know details of OEM N/A exhaust valves. You may need to replace with Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves.

2) From what I've read on other forums, the MSD Boost Master is very slow to react to changes in boost. This problem may have been corrected by MSD. This is something that you should investigate. How quickly is your ignition timing retarded when you go into boost?

3) It may be worthwhile just to simply eliminate OEM ECU and MSD Boost Master and replace with a nice aftermarket ECU. Instead of attempting to fool your OEM ECU with clever tricks (disabling O2 sensor at WOT and adjusting MAF signal) -- using an aftermarket ECU you can custom/program fuel and igntion with your laptop. Don't forget wideband O2 sensor.

4) Another Fuel Pressure Regulator worth mentioning...
http://www.bellengineering.net/fmu2020.html
http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020.htm

And lastly...

I need confirmation on this, but I believe that the engine block from your 1996 850 Turbo (VIN 57) has oil squirters to spray underside of pistons. Squirters are not needed for lubrication, but rather for cooling pistons and cylinder walls.

I appreciate your ambition and motivation, but you will have to fight against many obstacles to make your car a smooth daily driver.

Just buy a turbo model. Don't waste your time or money doing this.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, i once had the same question
(https://volvoforums.com/m_16611/tm.htm)

i had a 96 850 GLT wagon, N/A, and wanted to conform it to a turbo.

after now owning the 96 850 Turbo, i can personally testify, that just finding another 850 w/ turbo will be a hell of a lot easier, and smoother. probly cheaper. honestly, there is a huge difference in the 2 cars that i didnt think would be there. it may sound cold / lifeless, but its true.

if you want a turbo 850, get rid of your n/a, and buy one with the turbo already on it. from there, you can upgrade a lot more anyways, than you could with the n/a 850, engine wise, and it wont be nearly as harmful to your brain or pocketbook.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: flamejet

hey, i once had the same question
(https://volvoforums.com/m_16611/tm.htm)

i had a 96 850 GLT wagon, N/A, and wanted to conform it to a turbo.

after now owning the 96 850 Turbo, i can personally testify, that just finding another 850 w/ turbo will be a hell of a lot easier, and smoother. probly cheaper. honestly, there is a huge difference in the 2 cars that i didnt think would be there. it may sound cold / lifeless, but its true.

if you want a turbo 850, get rid of your n/a, and buy one with the turbo already on it. from there, you can upgrade a lot more anyways, than you could with the n/a 850, engine wise, and it wont be nearly as harmful to your brain or pocketbook.
Same here, I went from a 1995 850 n/a to a 1999 s70 awd which has a 13g turbo on it stock. Big difference.

JUST BUY A TURBO MODEL. It will be cheaper believe me, and you wont get as many headaches as you would turboing a N/A.