Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Turbo or not turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or not turbo

Hi just got a 850 turbo ,and now and then it has white smoke blowing out the exhaust .
It does not change the perfomance .and the boost guage is still in the white .
If it is the turbo would it smoke all the time???

Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turbo or not turbo

Are you low on anti freeze? If so, perhaps a head gasket issue......................

Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

When the turbo's go bad they start smoking. A bad headgasket 99.9% of the time the car will overheat very shortly after starting it.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 PM

The coolant level is good ,and it has never overheated.
Is there a way to test the turbo performance????
What other part could cause intermittent smoke with a burned plastic smell??
One time it was smoking so i stoped turned it of then on and the smoke stoped??? verry strange!!!!
Cheers

Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 PM

White smoke usually indicates that your car is burning anti-freeze (coolant). Black smoke usually indicates that your car has too much fuel in the air/fuel mixture. Blue smoke usually indicates that your car is burning oil.

You appear to be losing anti-freeze.

Signs of bad head-gasket (or possibly even worse, a cracked head)

Park your car overnight. Have a friend start your engine while you watch the exhaust. A large white cloud of smoke indicates that anti-freeze seeped into engine cylinders.

Let your engine cool. Unfortunately, our cars do not have radiator caps -- or at least I haven't found mine yet. Remove cap to radiator overflow tank (radiator cap if you can find it). Have a friend start your engine while you watch coolant. Bubbles indicate that air is leaking from engine cylinders into your cooling system.

Have a mechanic perform cooling system leakdown test. This requires a special tool (looks like a hand pump with gauge). Since I couldn't find my radiator cap, I connected mine to the radiator overflow tank. The cooling system should be able to easily hold pressure up to 15 psi.

I have always felt that anti-freeze temp gauges are marked incorrectly. The Red Hot Line should start at the 3/4 point on the gauge. A Yellow Warning Line should be added between the 1/2 and 3/4 points on the gauge. Even though this would be very practical, car manufacturers will never do this because -- for appearance sake -- this would make the gauge cluster look very ugly.

In other words, never ever let the needle on your temperature gauge go above the 1/2 mark. Pull your car over on the breakdown lane. Turn on your heater/defroster and set the thermostat to 90 degrees. You will sweat a lot, but it will save you from an expensive repair bill -- replacing a cracked head. Do what your must, but never let your needle cross the 1/2 mark.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM

The coolant is full I have never toped it up so i think it is a diferent problem.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

A bad turbo will also produce White smoke!!!

Also if you smell plastic burning check your upper torque mount they are known to break and drop peices on the exhaust.

Look closely at your exhaust and see if you see any traces of oil.