Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Turbo or PTC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or PTC?

Good afternoon all! SeaMike I hope you see this! I would appreciate your input, if you have any regarding this issue....

My "dummy light" has been on for some time, I kept pulling a P0172, and a P0440. Anyway, this morning filled the gas tank, and when I started the car up, the "dummy light" went off... I began to notice that the turbo gauge wouldn't rise above "slightly" halfway... Also, it sounded like the turbo was whining louder than normal. I decided to gun it a bit and noticed that the car didn't like shifting from first into second, while stomping on it... The turbo kicked on, and when it came time to shift, there was a loss of power, loud whine, and a bit of hessitation, then it would shift.

Anyway, I got home, plugged in the OBD-II to pull any codes that were stored, and in addition to the P0172, and P0440, I had a new code... P0102.

So, I checked the resistances and voltages at my MAF, and sure enough, the MAF was sending back 0.001 V! Needless to say, I ran down to the local Pick and Pull, grabbed a new MAF installed it, and hoped that was all.

Well, apparently that wasn't the problem at all.... I am now thinking maybe the PCT? I have attached some pictures my PTC, because I have two hoses coming off it, and they both are about 1" - 2" long, and just appear to be "drain" hoses? Also, just after the MAF, there is a nipple in the hose, I was curious to know if there is supposed to be a hose routed to this.

I would like to know if anyone else has ran into this problem, I know I have to replace my PVC system, and the trap that is under the manifold, but I would really like to find out what is up with this PTC and or Turbo Problem..

I don't know if this is related, but there is a return hose from the back of the engine to the bottom driver's side of the radiator... This hose is soaked in engine oil, what is this hose, does it go to the turbo?

Also, If anyone can help me out with the removal and cleaning of the PCT, that would be awesome, maybe some other areas to look at regarding this issue....

Tonight, I will try to get a YouTube video up containing the "whining" I am referring to....

Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo or PTC?-imag0002.jpg   Turbo or PTC?-imag0005.jpg   Turbo or PTC?-imag0004.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

In the 850 Sticky DIY thread, there are 2 good write ups on the PCV and PTC valve. In your pics, 1 & 3, it shows that your vac line that goes from the passenger side of your intake manifold back to you PTC valve is cut at the PTC. The hard plastic tubing is suppose to be connected to a short rubber elbow which connects to the PTC. See the 2nd pic on this link: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=28415 That correction will likely cure your P0172 code, it always did on my yellow T-5R. It may even clear the other code.

As for the tube on the bottom of the intake tubing, yes there is a line that goes to that but I can't remember off the top of my head. I believe there is a tree under there that should have a hose loose.

Back to your PCV system. If you have a smoking dip stick or haven't serviced that in a while, you should make that a priority. A plugged PCV system can cause you major oil leaks, including a RMS and possibly even a head gasket leak.

I have no knowledge of the P0102 code, maybe someone else can help you with that. On another note, do you have an EGR?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That nipple on the bottom of the intake tube 1-2" past the MAF sensor is supposed to be connected to the middle of the TCV (electric valve controlling the waste gate and bypass). It is the blue colored hose that goes up to that intake nipple. See attached diagram. In your first picture where it shows the hard plastic pipe disconnected from the flexible braided vacuum line, above it is a vac line with a yellow marker on it. If you follow that line (Yellow line in diagram) it will lead you to the TCV. The TCV has an electrical connection like the MAF sensor at one end and the three vacuum nipples at the other end. It's about the size of a relay. If you pull the air filter housing it should be below the distributor. Mine isn't bolted down and is just laying on the transmission. It has a mount with two holes but I haven't seen where it's supposed to be bolted in.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo or PTC?-vacuum-hose-diagram-850.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 10-15-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: additional info