Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Very Puzzling 850 non-turbo MAF problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Puzzling 850 non-turbo MAF problem

Hey Guys. I have a 95 850 non turbo 5 speed. The car was loosing power above 3000 rpm and just didn't have much power. So I replaced the following in this order.

Plugs
Wires
coil
flame trap/breather
I then decided that It might be the MAF sensor so I odered one. They sent me one for the automatic.
I sent it back and got one for the manual tranny(non bosch part)

When I put it in the car it wouldn't idle. I cleared the codes and unhooked the battery overnight. When I started it the next morning Engine light was on and car wouldn't idle. I explored under the hood and found a Vacuum hose off at the throttle boy I replaced it and the car would idel. I still have the engine 121 code but after some working the gas peddle got the car to idle @950. When I took it on the road it drive fine until I give it 1/2 throttle or more in 2nd or higher. The engine stops cuts out and then on again and jerks back an forth from throttle and no throttle. After that the car will not idle until I mess with the throttle again. Here is the kicker. If I put the pold Mass Airflow Sensor back in the car it will idle and the only issue I have is the loss of power at the top end and a little sputter at times but still have the 121 code. That is the only code.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it looks like you are having fuel pressure issues. check for fuel pressure first with a warm engine. pressure should be around 39-42 and get back to us. l would always recommend bosch maff sensor. trust me l have seen people use after market MAF sensors and had rough idle. volvo recommends OEM everything. our cars are very picky.lol

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gedaggett
Hey Guys. I have a 95 850 non turbo 5 speed. The car was loosing power above 3000 rpm and just didn't have much power. So I replaced the following in this order.

Plugs
Wires
coil
flame trap/breather
I then decided that It might be the MAF sensor so I odered one. They sent me one for the automatic.
I sent it back and got one for the manual tranny(non bosch part)

When I put it in the car it wouldn't idle. I cleared the codes and unhooked the battery overnight. When I started it the next morning Engine light was on and car wouldn't idle. I explored under the hood and found a Vacuum hose off at the throttle boy I replaced it and the car would idel. I still have the engine 121 code but after some working the gas peddle got the car to idle @950. When I took it on the road it drive fine until I give it 1/2 throttle or more in 2nd or higher. The engine stops cuts out and then on again and jerks back an forth from throttle and no throttle. After that the car will not idle until I mess with the throttle again. Here is the kicker. If I put the pold Mass Airflow Sensor back in the car it will idle and the only issue I have is the loss of power at the top end and a little sputter at times but still have the 121 code. That is the only code.

Any thoughts?
1-2-1 (MAF Signal Absent Or Faulty)

If you've reset the code and it comes back then either your MAF is no good or you have a wiring problem (or possibly and ECU issue but that's less likely). If it were me, I would ohm out the wires from the MAF connector to the ECU; do you have a schematic?