Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

The Volvo Gods are against me! You won't believe....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The Volvo Gods are against me! You won't believe....

As I was driving home from work, very carefully since I do not have a spare tire right now, (see yesterdays post) I went to signal.....the thing just broke off... just broke!!!!!! I stopped and looked at it and it appears the metal piece that attaches the arm to the plastic thing in the steering wheel column is broken off around the plastic thing. The piece of metal on the back side is right there. It definitely looks like a piece that comes out so I hope I can replace it. I don't even know what it is called to begin looking for the part... Help!!!! Can you believe this???

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shirley
As I was driving home from work, very carefully since I do not have a spare tire right now, (see yesterdays post) I went to signal.....the thing just broke off... just broke!!!!!! I stopped and looked at it and it appears the metal piece that attaches the arm to the plastic thing in the steering wheel column is broken off around the plastic thing. The piece of metal on the back side is right there. It definitely looks like a piece that comes out so I hope I can replace it. I don't even know what it is called to begin looking for the part... Help!!!! Can you believe this???
Yes.

To replace the metal piece that attaches the arm to the plastic thing you will probably have to disassemble the plastic covers on the long thing that sticks out from the dash that has the round thing on the end of it. It could be a complicated job so you may want to get your hands on the paper thing that has the disassembly instructions in it. If you take the broken metal piece and the arm to the dealer they can probably tell you what you need to buy.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That was cruel and funny at the same time

I think you're going to need the turn signal or multifunction switch (same thing) and I don't know if in your case it might be possible to epoxy it back on but that would be the only "backyard" repair you might try. New or salvage yard would be the likely choices and I lean toward new so you're not holding that stalk in your hand again in a month or two.
Local parts store about $250.00, FCP groton under $90.00 http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...Cruise+Control
Here's a how to: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=47464

Attached Thumbnails The Volvo Gods are against me!  You won't believe....-turn-signal-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-22-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Ok smarty pants! Good thing I still have my sense of humor....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM

So I ned the whole arm.... It doesn't look like gluing the part back on would be strong enought to hold. I drive in heavy Austin traffic every day so lots of signaling is required. I will check around. My greatest concern is getting this working asap. I drove in today with no signal and did not like it one bit.

Hopefully getting the spare today. I am going to get a regular size tire, as it does appear to fit in the space in the trunk.

Thanks for your input! Can you believe that Smarty pants answer?! Hopefully the paper thing will come with the part or preferably a human thing that can fix this thing ASAP!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Heavy Austin traffic you say? That's rich.
I wish someone would tell the drivers in Los Angeles and Las Vegas that "lots of signaling is required.
I think its a dying art.

I didn't read your other post, but you not only need a spare tire; it needs to be on a rim (for emergency roadside usage).

Glad you were able to source the part without having to buy an entire new steering column assembly.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Default spare tire

yes a full size does fit, if my memory serves me right, last 240 was 9 years ago. but you will have to get a proper rim for it as well, breakers yards normally have odd one that will do the job, if your not too fussy or ebay

Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shirley
Thanks for your input! Can you believe that Smarty pants answer?! Hopefully the paper thing will come with the part or preferably a human thing that can fix this thing ASAP!
This is a how to link for the replacement:http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=47464

Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 AM

It was pretty clear that I was not going to be able to do this repair myself. I ended up taking it to a mechanic who used to work at a dealership and went on his own about 17 years ago. He employs another guy who used to work at the dealershsip as well. They got the part for me (87.00) by 1:00 and had the thing ready to go by 4, when I came by to get it! They charged 45.00 for labor AND I was able to spend 20.00 on the spare I needed. They did a great job and I think the cash spent was worth it. I will try to lay low and hopefully the angry Volvo god's will forget about me.

Thanks for everyone's input, even the smarty one!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Forget about who ??

Good to know you're back on the road with flashing signals again and at a good price

Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry I missed this post, I have a spare turn signal stalk/handle and good easy instructions on how to replace it. Glad you didn't have to get a new one.