Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo Gods Need some Answers..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Gods Need some Answers..

Hey Guys Im a new member but I've been reading posts for some time now. Im on my 2nd 850, this time a 05/96 GLT Wagon non turbo ... I Love it. But I have a few questions.

1st I have been working on my stage zero stuff, 02 sensor being the biggest improvment, so far everyelse Ive done is making the car run smoother and harder (plugs, wires, fuel filter etc), always a plus.

2nd my battery light comes on for a few seconds when I turn the car off .. should I worry about this? Replace the battery?

3rd my remote has VERY poor range (I have to touch the car for it to unlock/lock), I have replaced the battery in the remote fob.. nothing.. does this have anything to do with problem #2?

4th. I understand I have the ODB-II which means I cant reset my own codes.. bummer, I have an SRS light and the 5 min check engine light which doesnt really bother me but.. is there any other way instead of taking it to the dealer to reset these? My dealer blows.. I used to own a A4.. same dealer Audi/VW/Volvo.

5th- Other then the stuck horn,busted hatch shocks, broken glove box, and these problems, the car is in excellent shape. The paint is steller not a scratch on her, everything works which is more then I can say about my last 850 Wagon 05/94.. tons of problems got rid of her.... Any guys other there doing anything worthwhile with the NA engines? Or that could let me in on some performance tips... I plan on a custom exhaust (friend of mine has a shop) and a custom intake (not a cai modifing the stock intake box) Being on Audiworld.com has given me alot of ideas that will also work on Volvos. Thanks alot for any answers I know this is long as hell but I have OCD when it comes to my car.
Peter

Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: Volvo Gods Need some Answers..

ORIGINAL: NA850ESTATE

Hey Guys Im a new member but I've been reading posts for some time now. Im on my 2nd 850, this time a 05/96 GLT Wagon non turbo ... I Love it. But I have a few questions.

1st I have been working on my stage zero stuff, 02 sensor being the biggest improvment, so far everyelse Ive done is making the car run smoother and harder (plugs, wires, fuel filter etc), always a plus.

2nd my battery light comes on for a few seconds when I turn the car off .. should I worry about this? Replace the battery?

3rd my remote has VERY poor range (I have to touch the car for it to unlock/lock), I have replaced the battery in the remote fob.. nothing.. does this have anything to do with problem #2?

4th. I understand I have the ODB-II which means I cant reset my own codes.. bummer, I have an SRS light and the 5 min check engine light which doesnt really bother me but.. is there any other way instead of taking it to the dealer to reset these? My dealer blows.. I used to own a A4.. same dealer Audi/VW/Volvo.

5th- Other then the stuck horn,busted hatch shocks, broken glove box, and these problems, the car is in excellent shape. The paint is steller not a scratch on her, everything works which is more then I can say about my last 850 Wagon 05/94.. tons of problems got rid of her.... Any guys other there doing anything worthwhile with the NA engines? Or that could let me in on some performance tips... I plan on a custom exhaust (friend of mine has a shop) and a custom intake (not a cai modifing the stock intake box) Being on Audiworld.com has given me alot of ideas that will also work on Volvos. Thanks alot for any answers I know this is long as hell but I have OCD when it comes to my car.
Peter
2. No problem there. My 850 does that and it's putting out strong voltage off the battery (and alt.)

3. Define poor range? 10 ft.? Mine seems to run within 15 feet and 40 feet depending on the position of the car relative to me pushing the button.

4. You can go to any Autozone and they will read your codes and reset your CEL. The SRS light you need to go to the dealership to reset.

- AB

Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1- Always a good place to start, and it also gives one peace of mind.

2- I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you start to notice other electrical issues then maybe this warrents more of a look, but if the car starts and runs fine then I'd say you're good.

3- You can get a new FOB from Ebay and reprogram it with instructions found on this site or others. It could be, but getting a another FOB is easy and if nothing else now you have two.

4- You can reset your own codes with OBD II as long as you have a scanner that supports it. Autozone will scan and reset codes. SRS is another issue completely. This requires a special tool that you can probably find on Ebay or through the dealer. You can also have the dealer reset the light for a price.

5- Hatch shocks are easy. If you want to know about performace options volvospeed is the place to go. Most people don't do a whole lot with the NA engines as they weren't designed to withstand the punishment a turbo brings about. Most performace gains come in terms of handling which is where I'm headed. Heck if I can't get up to speed quickly I don't want to have to slow down for corners.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the replies, I guess the battery light is just something that will take some tinkering with to figure out. Maybe something isnt getting the proper voltage and causing the light to come one.. I dont know but i guess if it isnt doing anything let it go. Also I went to the local battery shop here ( crazy that we still have one, with wal marts every where) And I was at 12.73 volts I think... and the other # was 621 out of 670 which he said is fine.. wish I knew exactly what that was. Next the remote, I found a few on ebay that arent very expensive.. do you think maybe its the key fob it self? And by poor range I mean about 3-4 feet at max. Unless do the chin trick then maybe 8ft or so. but still my last volvo had great range like 15ft+ anything i could do? And about the Service and SRS light, I will def go to Autozone an get the service one reset thats one less thing to worry about and the SRS light maybe I'l talk some kind of deal with the dealer or look aorund town to get to reset cheap. And yea I see that the NA market is pretty weak. But thats understandable, same with Audi Tuning, its all in the 1.8t and 2.7t and now with the new 2.0t not the na 2.8. I just want the car to run stronger. I know the hp is 168hp around 4k or so but the low end at times blows.. but the engine seems willing to push harder, thats all I want is a smooth pull through the whole range. Maybe the stage zero will only get better, I was also thinking about messing with the air intake alittle. I had some gains I feel with my past jobs. Keeping 60% stock and working with more air flow and cooler air, and right now the weather is perfect for that, nice cool temps. Anyways thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The battery voltage should be about 13.6 volts or so.
It is not charging good.
The Alt. might be bad.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 AM

That was also with the car off..

Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 AM

Take the Remote, hold the end vertically under your chin, press the button... Turns your head into a giant antenna.. I've been able to get 3x the distance with most FOBs doing this.

-Matt

Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 PM

The chin method is what i have to use unless I am standing right next to the car, but thanks

Old 11-13-2006, 11:21 PM

Isn't there an antenna for the keyless remote behind the glove box? Is it possible that the antenna broke off or become disconnected?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 PM

I will check there tonight, thanks alot thats the answer I was looking for. Or hoping that its there now that you said that.