General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Class action lawsuit against volvo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Class action lawsuit against volvo

I spent the entire weekend cleaning up the flood inside my Volvo S60. I couldn't believe the inside was flooded & couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. Turns out it was a clogged sunroof drain. I read that thousands of Volvos (most models) have defective sunroof drains that drain directly into the car. Had to pull out my seats, the carpet, side panels, even the headliner to find the leak & then disinfect & dry everything. The electrical system was saturated! From what I read online, this is a huge problem for Volvo - posing potential safety issues once the electrical system is compromised. There is now a class action lawsuit against Volvo including 6 states. See Joanne Neale, et al. v. Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, et al., Case No. 2:10-cv-04407, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. I called my dealership today & they are taking the position they don't have to do anything (like repair my car for free) until a verdict is rendered in the litigation case! There was recently a $69 million class action settlement against Volkswagen & Audi for a similar sunroof water leak issue. See Dewey, et al. v. Volkswagen of America, Inc., et al. What a mess! Lexus or Infinity here I come!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

They are right, they don't have to do anything for free. Your car is out of warranty, making you liable for any repair costs. Just because something is common doesn't mean it is warrantied forever. And it isn't common at all on the S60 anyway.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM

If you do your research you'll see it is a common problem - with most Volvo models - Just like Audi & Volkswagen - that's why a $69 million verdict was entered in favor of plaintiffs. And I'm confident that a verdict will be rendered against Volvo just as it was against Volkswagen/Audi. Not much different from all the drug litigation or tobacco litigation in this country. Corporate America NOT doing the right thing... until attorneys step in. DO YOU WORK FOR VOLVO?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

I don't need to do my research, it comes from experience. I am a tech at a Volvo dealer. I have seen dozens and dozens of clogged drains on the P1 platform and the XC90. Not on the P2 S60, which uses a different drain design. Notice none of the cars in the lawsuit you mentioned are anything but P1 cars and XC90s. Three models hardly represents "most Volvo models".

Common or not, until there is a ruling stating otherwise, the dealer is not obligated to repair it for free once outside of the warranty period.

Last edited by ES6T; 04-22-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM

I knew you worked for Volvo! Read the lawsuit and the plethora of other pleadings, motions, etc. Volvo has filed to try to dismiss and diminish the suit. The suit has NOT been dismissed as evidently, the court finds that it has merit. Yes, Volvo may very well end up like Volkswagen/Audi. Good luck in your continued denial of this matter.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

When did I deny the matter? I specifically said I have repaired dozens and dozens of these on the P1 and the XC90. It is very common.

It is NOT common in the other P2s, which use a totally different drain system.

I never said it was dismissed. I simply said that the dealer is not obligated to fix anything for free. Your car is out of warranty making you liable for repairs as of this time. If there is a ruling in the future changing that, great. It doesn't matter at all to me. I get paid to fix it either way.

You are the one who doesn't know what they're talking about, claiming this is a problem on "most Volvo models" when, as clearly shown in the lawsuit YOU cited, is just three models.

I love how everyone is lawsuit happy these days. Upper spring seats are a common failure on the P2. If left torn long enough, it could be argued it is a safety concern by a greedy lawyer. The cost to replace two and align the car could be more than some were charged for their sunroof repair. Where is the class action lawsuit for all P2 drivers who experienced broken spring seats?

Last edited by ES6T; 04-23-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AJWPink
If you do your research you'll see it is a common problem - with most Volvo models - Just like Audi & Volkswagen - that's why a $69 million verdict was entered in favor of plaintiffs. And I'm confident that a verdict will be rendered against Volvo just as it was against Volkswagen/Audi. Not much different from all the drug litigation or tobacco litigation in this country. Corporate America NOT doing the right thing... until attorneys step in. DO YOU WORK FOR VOLVO?
Exactly, "just like tobacco litigation"...which is pure bullcrap. People know smoking is bad for them and they should have zero ability to sue tobacco companies, but thieving consumers & dirtbag lawyers see an easy score. Guess what? Cars aren't perfect for eternity. Things wear out, things get plugged up. Maybe Volvo should sue car owners who don't keep their sunroof drains clean of debris, then whine on forums & make Volvo look bad. Was there debris clogging the drain when the car rolled off the dealer lot? Nope. One could say that makes it 100% a owner maintenance issue. Obviously the truth is somewhere between these extremes, but to sue Volvo over this stupidity will just make the cars $5k more expensive next time someone wants to buy one. That is, if Volvo hasn't been bankrupted by frivolous lawsuits...

Thanks a lot.
- Volvo Enthusiasts

Last edited by Ovlov Lacidar; 04-23-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by AJWPink
Corporate America NOT doing the right thing... until attorneys step in. DO YOU WORK FOR VOLVO?
Do you work for (or are you) an attorney??

Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 AM

I'm not going to argue this issue with anyone - especially online. The court will decide the outcome of the case - just like they did with Volkswagen/Audi. And for all you unsuspecting Volvo owners - check your sunroof drain lines! 10-4.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, so let me get this straight. You had a problem with your old, out of warranty S60. The dealer said they are not obligated to fix it for free (which is correct- the warranty is expired). So you sign up here to spout off about your vast knowledge of the issue (what you read online)and a lawsuit, in which all cars specifically mentioned in the lawsuit are of a different design. Then, when this glaring difference is explained to you by someone who sees these cars every single day, you run and don't want to "argue" about it. Typical.

Good luck finding a car company that will warranty all repairs forever.