Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo goes under the knife again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo goes under the knife again!

I guess it's sort of like getting a pacemaker...[8D]The odo is about to hit 140,000 so we dropped it off this morning to have the timing belt replaced, and figured while it's there, get a tire rotation as well.

Not knowing when the timing belt was done before, it's going to be great peace of mind knowing it's got a fresh one. It's just one more step toward having our Volvo around forever. haha.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volvo goes under the knife again!

i dont even want to think that my car needs the belt anytime soon. guess i'll check the timing belt cover to see if it has a sticker on it.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM

At 140K you'd better consider changing the tensioner and pulley too.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: axelm

At 140K you'd better consider changing the tensioner and pulley too.
The repair place is going to do an inspection on all parts related to the timing belt. They are supposed to let me know if they feel anything else needs replaced. The cool thing is, they call before they do any actual repairs and let me decide how to proceed.If I say do the tensioner and pulley too, they will.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 PM

a reputable shop would ALWAYS call to let you know what damage to your wallet you are looking at before doing any repairs. Watch out and stay away from places that move on with added repairs without warning. It is a good way to lose your car if you dont have the money.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Systek

a reputable shop would ALWAYS call to let you know what damage to your wallet you are looking at before doing any repairs. Watch out and stay away from places that move on with added repairs without warning. It is a good way to lose your car if you dont have the money.
Yup. This place is very very VERY good. They called today. They are going to do the complete timing belt service. Tensioner, water pump, etc. Because they just did work for us, they are giving us 20% off total labor charge and no interest for 90 days on the bill.

Not to mention them being very up front about all repairs and costs associated with the job. I would recommend them to anyone in the area.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad all is going good with the car.
I happy they are doing good for you.
I guess all must have been good with the car lately haven't seen you on very much.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Glad all is going good with the car.
I happy they are doing good for you.
I guess all must have been good with the car lately haven't seen you on very much.
Yup! Car has been doing just fine. That, and I've been crazy busy at work and after work. Doesn't leave me much time to visit all the forums I'm a member of. [8D]

The only bad thing is, we don't have our car back yet. There must have been a hold-up on a part or something. It was supposed to be done at noon today, and they haven't called yet. We called at noon and they said by 5:00, so we'll see. That's okay though, I know things don't always go perfectly.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Well, we got the car back... Too much money later... But it always is, right? The bad news is, they found "something else" on the test drive.

It looks like our Volvo needs new front struts and something else... The additional $1000 sorta blocked out what else was said. I told them no on that repair, just give us our car. Is that something where parts aren't too bad? The mechanic that works for my dad at the golf course can do automotive stuff. He can replace them if I buy the parts. Would I save some money that way?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi T Jay,

Yes you can save quite a bit if you can buy OEM parts on-line, such as FCP Groton or eeuroparts.

As for the struts, you can defer replacement as long as the car does not sit at an angle or keep bouncing at corners. Also, when you do the struts, make sure to replace all hardware; you don't want to go back in there more than once. See FCP Groton's illustration.

Cheers,

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/A1BA764D31B2406BAF7084BDA2F22527.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Concur with JPN. Struts are not too bad, to replace, but do it all at once. If you do not replace them now, also keep an eye on tire wear and if you feel any bouncing or vibration at highway speeds. If you can afford to have it done before winter sets in, I would do it. Just my .02

Glenn

Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Like said above does the car sit at an angle?
Does it bounce while you are driving?
Or if you push hard on the front end does it just come back up and stop or does it bounce a couple of more times?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 PM

If your struts are really bad, you will feel that the wind moves you easily on the highway. If you step on the breaks it will dive forward. If you floor it, the car´s front will raise and when it comes down it will bounce several times like Tech mentioned.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM

I'll give it a check today sometime. I really haven't felt anything unusual or change in the way the car drives. And I still haven't heard the "Clunking" sound they claimed the car made. I really think I'll be okay for a bit longer. Tire wear seems to be somewhat normal too, but the tires were just rotated, so now I can keep an eye on things better.

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Tech, isnt the rule that if the car bounces more than once, the shocks/struts should be replaced? that is another thing I will have to address pretty soon...ugh.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

I pushed down on the front at lunch. Went down. Came up. Stopped.No extra bouncing going on. I think they were just looking to get more money out of me. [:@]But it didn't happen! When it is time to do the struts, hopefully I'll have some extra money to do a sport suspension or something. Did they fix the body roll issue on the 850-R's? Not that it's bad on the 850, but a little less is always better.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi T Jay,

Auto mfgs claim that the dampers (shocks & struts) are good for the life of the car (which I do not believe), damper mfgs say that they need replacement at certain intervals, and people who do rally say that the dampers need replacement after each race.

I personally do minebetween 60,000 miles/6 years and 100,000 miles/10 years, depending on the condition & budget. When I didall 4 dampers (+sway bar link rods) on my 850 at 140,000 miles, the carfelt like new.

If you have not noticed any handling problem, deferthejobuntil younotice a problem. I would stay away from Bilstein Heavy Duty, as they will make yourride rock-hard. Adjustable dampers seem to be the best, if you want sharper handling. I went with Bilstein Touring and was happy with them.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM

I was thinking KYB's of some type. That's what my Typhoon has and I really like the way they handle/ride... Even with my Ty dropped 1". But that's a ways off at this point, so I have time to research and decide.