Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wasn't the Pnp... what next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wasn't the Pnp... what next?

My 1995 Volvo 850 developed a problem I'm trying to solve regarding starting. The starter does not engage when the ignition key is turned; nor will it start in neutral. The electric systems seem to work normally, windows, dash lights, etc. but when you turn the key it wont crank, or even try.

The problem developed suddenly and I thought it might have been the PNP switch but after replacing it, I seem to be right back where I was. When the gear shift is in Park, and I put my foot on the brake I can hear a small solenoid near the gearshift clicking. I've tried jump-starting the battery to make sure it isn't just a weak battery - where should i look next? Foolishly I didn't put a meter to the starter to see if it is getting the juice or not, the symptoms of my problem seemed to fit a common fault of the volvos- the PnP switch wearing out. I have read about the microswitch in the console that controls a gearshift lock operation being a problem but I have no difficulty getting the car out of park... suggestions? Thanks

There may also be an issue with the headlights not coming on - I can't remember at present but the parking lights do come on for sure. Maybe I undid a connection when I did the PnP replacement.... I need to check again but I read somewhere on this forum that headlight failure was a symptom for some gearshift issue on some models? The car is parked on the street far away at the moment and I'm back home now after a long day doing the replacement on the PnP.

Next I'm going to check several obvious things I should have checked to start with - continuity on the main positive lead from the battery to the starter, function of the starter when it is disconnected from the car, anything else?

The ignition switch itself has been replaced once since the car was new, and is less than three years old I believe, when I bought it. It had some sort of dead spot, i think, can't recall the exact nature of the trouble but the repair shop said it needed a new ignition switch when I first brought it in.

I am looking for suggestions and tips. I'm handy enough but not trained or thorough, I fear.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My thoughts would be the battery 1st, the ignition 2nd. What is the battery volts? Third guess would be the starter.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

Definitely start with the battery and go from there.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, I thought there would be a relay dedicated to the starter but there wasn't. See attached. Relay #14 is probably inside the car under the dash.

If the relay is OK and the starter still insists on not doing its job, yank it out, throw it at Obama/Hillary's face (just kidding) and put a new one in.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Wasn't the Pnp... what next?-850-starter-ckt.jpg   Wasn't the Pnp... what next?-850-turbo-ceu.jpg