Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Water entering through cracks in car body

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water entering through cracks in car body

Hi all,

I own a 1996 Volvo 850, have had it for 4 1/2 years. It has cracks in the strut that holds up the roof. See attached photos. The cracks haven't lengthened at all. They probably were caused when the previous owner (ex-girlfriend) ran over a curb and had to have the suspension repaired. A local auto body shop said it would cost about $800 to fix it. No thank you! I applied a product by Bondo called 'plastic metal', which narrowed the cracks but a hairline crack remains in places--I assume b/c the body twists a bit while on the road and the Bondo product is not pliable.

So, my question is: What could I apply to the hairline cracks to close them that would resist the weather but also be pliable enough to stretch and compress a bit with temperature and body flexing?

As always, thoughtful and informed replies are most appreciated.

--David

Attached Thumbnails Water entering through cracks in car body-volvo-cracks-1.jpg   Water entering through cracks in car body-volvo-cracks-2-inset.jpg   Water entering through cracks in car body-volvo-cracks-2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

You have cracks in the c-pillar metal? Did you try regular Bondo body filler (yes it is pliable)? If that cracks they you have structural issues with the car. As to the leaking, did you check to make sure the channel drains are intact and your trunk gasket is not torn or loose? Seems that'd be a more likly cause but if your white caulking in the photo is doing the job... BTW some body shops use lead to fill seams by welds. What process did the body shop suggest they were going to do to fix this? I suppose the budget fix is to buy some clear tub caulking and leave it at that or try going with bondo and just layer / sand until you get the seams covered.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
You have cracks in the c-pillar metal? Did you try regular Bondo body filler (yes it is pliable)? If that cracks they you have structural issues with the car. As to the leaking, did you check to make sure the channel drains are intact and your trunk gasket is not torn or loose? Seems that'd be a more likly cause but if your white caulking in the photo is doing the job... BTW some body shops use lead to fill seams by welds. What process did the body shop suggest they were going to do to fix this? I suppose the budget fix is to buy some clear tub caulking and leave it at that or try going with bondo and just layer / sand until you get the seams covered.
I did not use Bondo body filler. I used Bondo 'plastic metal'. It comes in a single tube, you don't have to mix it. But it appears to be inflexible. You can't tell from the photos but there are hairline cracks in the so-called plastic metal.

I didn't ask the body shop what they would do exactly. When they quoted $800 or some such, I immediately stopped listening...

It's not that there is 'leaking' per se. Rather, water is getting inside the C-pillar (I guess that's what it's called?) and causing it to rust at the bottom of the pillar--bubbling under the paint that hasn't broken through but will, eventually, I assume. I hadn't noticed it before but the auto body guy pointed it out.

Thanks for the tip and the link to the Bondo body filler product, and also the suggestion of tub caulking. Regarding choosing between the two, I assume the Bondo body filler is the better choice? Is that because one can sand it down to get a more or less smooth finish that one can then paint over--and that's not the case with tub caulking? Clearly, if I can avoid having to mix hardener and filler, I would prefer that. But there are limits to how convenient I want it to be. The solution (a) has to be flexible and pliable to allow for car body expansion, contraction and twisting and (b) has to allow me to sand down so I can paint it over. The Bondo 'plastic metal' product got me part way there, but I've got to fill those hairline cracks now.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. Much appreciated!