Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What is the best tire to run summer, winter, good ride ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the best tire to run summer, winter, good ride ??

What tires seem to be working the best, I live in Minnesota, drive in ice snow ect, I started to research tires, I got a tire guy, but he tries to push what he sells the most, Hankook, theyre ok but Im a Firestone/ Bridgestone guy, I am running Bridgestone Potenza G 109 Grids up front and some kumhos in the rear, the kumhos are about the hardest riding tire I have ever seen, the Bridgestones are ok but kinda stiff, I'm looking for a smoother riding tire thats going to ride good, corner, and be good in the snow and get some life out of them, I'm not scared to shell out a few extra bucks for something that really works.

What are you running, whats working ?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by baadandy
What tires seem to be working the best, I live in Minnesota, drive in ice snow ect, I started to research tires, I got a tire guy, but he tries to push what he sells the most, Hankook, theyre ok but Im a Firestone/ Bridgestone guy, I am running Bridgestone Potenza G 109 Grids up front and some kumhos in the rear, the kumhos are about the hardest riding tire I have ever seen, the Bridgestones are ok but kinda stiff, I'm looking for a smoother riding tire thats going to ride good, corner, and be good in the snow and get some life out of them, I'm not scared to shell out a few extra bucks for something that really works.

What are you running, whats working ?
I'm actually in the market for new tires too and noticed you were running Potenzas. Would you recommend those? I'm currenly considering the Potenza RE960AS and the Insignia SE200. I'm in Chicago so, I looking at something good in the snow too.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All-Season:

I can tell you do not get Continental runflats, ContiProContact (SSR). Smooth, quiet, but pretty bad on wet traction. Not recommended for use on 32 degrees or colder.

I got them not long ago, had a rupture too (maybe not the tire's fault). Wore very fast too.

GoodYear Eagle GT are very well received by some Volvo guys too. You can get them now at Tirerack or DiscountTire for about $ 300-350. Another very good budget tire is General Altimax.

On higher ends -- people love the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, and Yokohama Avid line.

Summer: Dunlop Direzza are loved by many Volvo people.

Winter: Maybe next winter I will get some Nokias. I had Ginslaved on my 850 and was very happy. I have GoodYear UltraGrip on other vehicles and I like them too. Ginslaved are Volvo recommended tires. Blizzaks are very good.

Michelins: I biased against the French, pardonnez moi. Except on my conversion van, I only want Michelins.

If you really want cheap tires go to tires online @ tires-easy.com: tire dealer for cheap passenger, summer, winter tires

Budget? Size?

Budget? size?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem with asking about tires is that just about everyone has their own opinions. For example: henry seems to like the goodyear tires, but i cant stand them and would never run them on anything i owned.

Go to tire racks website and look up your tire size. you can get PLENTY of reviews from folks there and get an idea of what people like and dont like about each tire.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 PM

I am not a goodyear fan either.. I usually buy Kuhmo Ecsta's The have really good wear and amazing wet/dry traction, and they are moderately priced usually between $80 and $100 per tire.

But this last time I got a amazing deal on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's for $57 a tire. I couldnt pass it up and tell you the truth I am actually impressed..

Old 03-26-2011, 12:24 PM

I agree with ibified, everyone has an opinion.

Now I live in Oregon and we get the occasional snow and if you go up to Mt Hood or Mt bachlor, you use chains or studded tires. For myself I am running Goodyear Assurance Tripletred P205/55-16 89H VSB. I really have enjoyed these tires. Worked very well on packed snow, not so good in 10"slush. Great in wet and dry. Since we have mountains and I drive fast, there was not any give or loose feeling on the road. I have to date placed 51,000 on these tires and no tread bar yet. Back in 2008 they were $131/tire. They are "H" rated, I don't drive over 100 mph and I do load my wagon with camping gear and 4-5 bikes on the rack on top. So load rating for me was a factor.

BTW, I am still looking for those overload springs for the rear. Like a Moog triple rate spring.

I ran Goodyear Eagles on my '72 vette and loved them. I ran Michelins on my Buick Electra Limited ('77) and loved them. I went thru four sets each lasting over 50,000 mikes.

Going forward, I am expecting to replace my tires this summer. Come winter I am going back to what I did with my Audi Quattro, run a second set of wheels with studded tires. When the weather turns bad, then I take off the road wheels/tires and install the stuuded set of wheels/tires. I have not be able to decide between the Hankook's or that Norwegian tire that I can pronounce or spell Happaletti's or something like that.

My 2 cents

Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't used GoodYears in ages, since I hated them too. Some Volvo guys like the GY Eagles, and as a budget tire might be ok.

It is not really fair to talk about All-Seasons for that much snow or slush. It is like using a chihuahua for bear hunting.

Although everyone has a different opinion, I think that Hankooks are an exception -- it sounds to me that everyone actually agrees on Hankooks -- bad tire. Like you, I have a local shop that pushed them to me, but at $ 450 for the set, I felt that cursing the owner was totally appropriate.

How much are for Hankooks?

Nokias Frapppucino (or something like that) are great snows, but expensive.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:51 PM

if you want an inexpensive tire thats not bad, look at the sumitomo htr. I have a set on the wife's saab (they used to be on my 855) and i really like them. they're decent in the wet, wear well, and are quiet.