Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What to do What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#$%&@#

Last edited by 058ovlov; 03-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great info !! My question is if this list my car as an exemption then in the link on your post it just says Complete Inspection as prompted by EIS. What does that mean ??? I have the turbo back together along with cooling system/ I also rechecked the whole PCV system while it was apart just to rule out the system. The new cat gets welded in tommrow and the new O2 sensors and then off to the Drive Cycle and then to the SMOG station.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 AM

@#$%@&

Last edited by 058ovlov; 03-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM

OK first of all all turbos leak/seep oil, period, all makes and models.

Second, do a good tune up if you havn't already. I have seen first hand a Volvo 850 Turbo (it was a 97) pass MARYLAND emissions test with no cats, just straight pipe. It had over 200k miles, but had recently has the PCV system replaced, and a good tune up.

Maryland Emissions are strict, like CA.

NOTE:do not try this (with the cats) the car that was taken up there was a West Virginia (West BY GOD) car and the test was just for ****s and grins.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Well some good news got everything back together and did a few other things in the process. Power steering flush/Fuel Injection Service/Air Intake Service/Oil Change, Install rebuilt turbo and all new coolant lines. I also went ahead and checked the PCV system while everything was apart (I did do it about 5000 miles ago) and wanted to recheck everything after what I read on here. New 02 sensors/catalytic converter. Dam all I can say is wow what a difference. 2 questions though.

1. My boost gauge is only reading about 8 psi on wide open throttle with the rebuilt turbo ? (economy mode only)

2. When I switch over to sport mode on the trans I think I am hitting fuel cut now (kinda feels like I get to a point and then thats it but only in sport mode and not economy) ?

Any ideas on the two issues, by the way its at the smog shop and will know tommrow if it finally passes !!!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you did your tune up did you install all new vac lines? If not, start there.

If you were hitting fuel cut, you would know it, it would feel like your engine is shutting down for a second. Sport vs Econ mode doesn't effect boost at all, all it effects is at what RPM the transmission shifts in and the downshift.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

(Scratching My Head), I'm not to sure about that E vs S mode on the R's. When I have E selected, the car is like a fast dog, when I have S selected the car is more agressive like a beast. I can tell the difference in the power of the pedal, not only shift points. I've noticed this in my R sedan and wagon.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rspi
(Scratching My Head), I'm not to sure about that E vs S mode on the R's. When I have E selected, the car is like a fast dog, when I have S selected the car is more agressive like a beast. I can tell the difference in the power of the pedal, not only shift points. I've noticed this in my R sedan and wagon.
The transmissions on a R are no different than the non-R's. They are the same.

E-vs-S: E mode has lower shift points and is designed to save gas, it is less aggressive. S mode has higher shift points and is designed for a more sporty drive. When turtling around you will hardly notice the difference between the two. Drive a bit more aggressive and it should be noticeable.

As for the boost. The peak boost for a Non-R is 9.6 psi so 8 could be a gauge variant. But, you should not be hitting fuel cutoff so if that is happening I would follow Gabes advice.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM

Thanks guys ! It only does it in Sport mode and it feels like it hits a wall and thats it ? When I did the tune up I did plugs/wires/cap/rotor and all new vac lines and at the same time I did the PCV system and cleaned the PTC nipple. Could anything the Turbo Rebuilder have done affected the boost that the turbo is putting out now ?

Also it passed Cali Smog Check this morning, the smog guy said he's never seen a car pass this good before except a fairly new vehicle !

Last edited by BigBear854R; 03-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 AM

the 1.6 difference is only like 12 at the MAX HP at the crank (after I worked the numbers). I wouldn't worry about it. Turbo could have been set up a tad looser and resulted in lower peak pressure. Turbo should spool a tad quicker as a result though.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Finally sucess it passed Cali Smog with flying colors, the Smog Tech said most new cars don't blow that clean ! Must have done something right. Still a mystery on the flatline issue in Sport mode happens at about 4k and then just stops accelerating in econo mode it runs beautiful ?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah!! good to hear.

Flatline? Is that your definition for fuel cut off? Fuel cut off will actually shut your car off for a sec, when you hit it you become totally aware as you look at all your gauges and think...what just happened. Its an abrupt jolt.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Yeah!! good to hear.

Flatline? Is that your definition for fuel cut off? Fuel cut off will actually shut your car off for a sec, when you hit it you become totally aware as you look at all your gauges and think...what just happened. Its an abrupt jolt.
My old Jeep was having ignition cut off when the alternator was switching, it was internal regular failure. That thing jerked so hard you would have thought you ran over something!

No difference in sport and eco mode in relation to engine power. Its all in your head.

Not surprised about emissions test, Volvo engines are some on the most efficient in the world.

About the "fuel cut off issue" it feels like you are loosing power gradually? like someone is turning off a facet?