Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

What's left?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's left?

Okay, I drive a 1997 850 GLT Station Wagon, and have been having problems with air conditioning. For awhile there, I thought freon was leaking, but no one can find a leak, but the air conditioning was working intermittently.

I was leaking coolant, and had two of the hoses fixed. Once they were fixed, I wasn't leaking coolant as much, but I was still leaking coolant. It was discovered that the leak is from a faulty radiator that looked like someone had done a MacGyver on the radiator to stop the leaks. Well, with help, we found the leak, and it was time to get a new radiator. That has since been taken care of.

The engine is not getting hot, and the thermometer is perfect fine. There are no more coolant leaks. There are no more hoses broken. I still have no air conditioning. I went to buy freon, and when it came time to put the freon in, it was full, so now I have two bottles of freon.

What is left? Someone mentioned the air compressor or air compressor clutch, and pointed it out to me. I can see the air compressor turn some of the time and click and turn on occasion and click. You can hear the clicking. It is a clutch or a belt that is supposed to keep the air compressor turning? Is that the problem? Am I overlooking anything else. I went to that air compressor sticky note thread, but I don't know if that is my problem. Something about shimming, and I don't know what that is.

Please help me out there because I need air conditioning, and I always want to have some background knowledge before I walk into an automotive place with some of these dudes talking to some people like they are stupid.

What else do I have to take a look at or see if it is working correctly for me to get air conditioning? I know I have windows and a sun roof, but life down south is hot!

Thank you

Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you need to realize that the coolant system generally has nothing to do with your air conditioning. The coolant system takes, well, coolant, and the A/C system takes refrigerant. If the A/C system is full and it isnt working, I'd first check the compressor to see if it's running. past that, you could have a blocked orfice tube or blockage somewhere else.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Well, I took my car to AAA auto care center, and they were the nicest people ever. Told them my situation. It turns out that I had hardly any freon in my car even though the dude that tried to help me put some freon in my car said it was full. Oh well. The moment they added freon, the clicking stopped. The put some kind of dye in there, and asked me to return if the air conditioning stops working, stops blowing cold air or if I hear the clicking sound. Just like that. The compressor and the things around it were fine, and now I have air conditioning. There still may be a leak, but, if there is, it can be found.

They did the same thing for an oil leak I know I have. The guy cleaned underneath my car, and that took serious work, did the dye thing there, and replaced the oil (I brought my own). I have to drive it around for a few days and return to them so they can see where the leaks are.

Cost me next to nothing. Keep your fingers crossed so there is a good aura about repairs and that they are cheap.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Sounds like you’d recommend AAA Auto Care Center – Which shop did you take it to?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 AM

AAA has been very good to me. There is a AAA auto care center here in Charleston.

After driving around with the dyes, I returned to AAA and found the leaks. My oil cooler hoses need to be replaced. The freon is good to go with no leaks there, but I knew I had an oil leak because underneath my car was soaked. So, I have to get these hoses replaced, and I had my first laugh in awhile because the parts cost so much more than the labor. So, whatever needs fixing doesn't take long.

Plus, they were concerned about my alternator drive belt (which had cracks all over it). I said go ahead and replace that as well. Replacing that is much cheaper than the oil hoses.

Are things like oil cooler hoses always such expensive parts?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Yeah, the hoses are a combination of metal and rubber with the metal bent in a very specific way. You can look them up at FCP for images. I haven't replaced mine, but they look pretty easy to do. You might be able to tackle it yourself, along with the serp. belt and save yourself some coin.