Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Wheel Lug Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Lug Bolts

I just ordered a set of mounted snow tires over the internet. These aftermarket wheels are not counterbored for the standard Volvo lug bolts. I am thinking of going to a local fasterer house to see if they have flat shouldered versions of the stock lug bolts. Should I ask for grade 5 or grade 8?

Does anyone make counterebored washers to fix this problem?

I am thinking of making a set of these washers. I have 6061 T6 aluminum, 303/304 ss and mystery alloy mild steel. The aluminum might not hold proper torque, the SS will gall and the mild steel will rust. Any comments or suggestion?

Ray

BTW why can I paste into the subject line and not into the message area?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Lug Bolts

Not sure about the wheels. Some else can answer that.

You can paste into the message area. You CANT right click paste be cause of the script/code.
You have to hit the keyboard shortcut "CTRL V"

Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just moved another post to Off Topic.

JPN

Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

GO to any decent tire/wheel shop and they should be able to help you out

Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raybun
I just ordered a set of mounted snow tires over the internet. These aftermarket wheels are not counterbored for the standard Volvo lug bolts. I am thinking of going to a local fasterer house to see if they have flat shouldered versions of the stock lug bolts. Should I ask for grade 5 or grade 8?

Does anyone make counterebored washers to fix this problem?

I am thinking of making a set of these washers. I have 6061 T6 aluminum, 303/304 ss and mystery alloy mild steel. The aluminum might not hold proper torque, the SS will gall and the mild steel will rust. Any comments or suggestion?

Ray

BTW why can I paste into the subject line and not into the message area?
I ran into something like this recently this winter with some other Volvo owners as well. The only thing I can comment on is many of us , who have learned the hard way, stick with OEM rims. Many, myself included go to salvage yards and stick with the alloy rims the vehicles came with, period. The owners manuals clearly caution against changing wheels because of the very, very, limited clearances involved. Think snow chains ripping off your brake lines as an example. I just don't see the point with experimenting anymore considering the cost. Unless of course you don't have an issue with the cash and want to see what happens, in which case let us know some more details about what rims, tire sizes and lug bolts you have come up with and why you did this in the first place. And it's always nice to know what tires work as compared with other tires. As an example I stick with the nokian studded winter tires as over the years I haven't found any better in winter conditions, and I have gone thru a lot of Volvos over the years. And as far as asking what grade bolts to use,....I thinks that your going to find that, that question isn't going to get an answere. Most everyone sticks with OEM, and sometime OEM McGuard or summit racing bolts, as well as OEM blistin or Febi,...period. Thanks.