Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Where to find Writups??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find Writups??

I have an '96 850 Glt wagon that needs a little work to be perfect. I am looking for some help on the following issues (Everything verified by a local Volvo mechanic):

R&R the Front Control arms (Ball joints are bad)
- Is this something I can do in my driveway? I have good tools, but no lift! any specialty tools needed?
R&R the Timing Belt (145,000 miles)
- How much time should I plan on this taking? I am a competent backyard mechanic! Where do I get the parts?
Adjust the window spray nozels
- They clean the sunroof more than the front window!!
R&R and Find the wipers for the headlights
- Are they realy only a dealer item?
Fix the third row seat latch (Female part is missing)
- Do you have the part number for this for a black interior?
Rear brake lights are intermitent... Where do I start to diagnose this?

Thanks everyone for any help you can offer!
Matt

Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to find Writups??

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo_850.php

You can finda lot of interesting info there.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The washer nozzle are easy to aim.

1. Get a pen.

2. Stick the pen tip into the washer nozzle.

3. Push it up or down depending on which way it was spraying previously. In your case you said it is spraying the sunroof. So push them down.

4. Test them

5. Re-aim if you have to.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing belt I wouldn't do myself personally. You can really screw the car up if you do it yourself and you do something slightly wrong.

I would have a good local mech do it for you.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Timing belt I wouldn't do myself personally. You can really screw the car up if you do it yourself and you do something slightly wrong.

I would have a good local mech do it for you.
The local mechanic wants $150.00 for the timing belt and $350.00 for the Control arms. I am in a situation where money will be tight for about 1 or 2 months and I know the timing belt is the main concern. I was just looking to save some money.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Does anyone have the dealer "Maintenence Schedule"? This car was serviced at the dealer only for the first 110,000 miles. It now has 140,000 miles and I am wondering if the Plugs, wires, cap and rotor have ever been done. If the dealer recomends it I expect it was done... if not should I get all oem parts for this?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the timing belt yourself. Just be careful. I did it wrong once and messed up two valves, but I would do it again. Them main thing, and what I didn't do, is turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar several times to make sure nothing is sticking. The marks are very hard to see, but they can be seen. The ones on the cam wheels are easy to see. The one on the crank is tough. Make sure you replace the tensioner too. You got somebody that will do the timing belt including the belt and labor for $150. They charge $300 at the Independent Volvo shop here in Columbus. Look at this link and it will walk you right through what you need to do.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.php

Old 03-15-2007, 05:03 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Matt,

Greetings from Yokohama.

As for the maintenance schedule, I would buy an owner's guide from on-line Volvo publication shop. I bought mine for about $25, including shipping. If you plan to keep your car for more than 2-3 years, this is a great investment.

Before I get into each item, refer to a pinned post titled "N00b here, some maintenance questions". I posted a thorough maintenance procedures for many parts, including T-belt replacement.

As for each item:

Control Arm + Integral Ball Joint:
You will need a good quality (not the Craftsman $70 cheapo) hydraulic floor jack and a pair of jackstands. Also, you may need a propane torch (in case some fasteners are corroded), a can of PB Blaster, punch, chisel & heavy hammer. The parts you need are new control arms & new bolts & nuts. Try searching on FCP Groton for price on each item. As for hardware, call them and ask.

Timing Belt:
If you've never performed timing belt replacement on any car, I would have it done by a fully certified ASE technician because the procedure on 850 is a bit tricky and if you don't pay great attention to detail, there is no room for screw ups. But if you don't mind doing it at your own risk, here are the items & parts you'll need (I did not include procedure for water pump, as they are usually indestructible on Volvos):

Tools & Items:
1. Service instructions, at least two (I used volvospeed's instructions, as well as Haynes manual).
2. Torx bits
3. Torque wrench
4. Bench vise, 7" opening (unless you decide to buy a new hydraulic tensioner cylinder)
5. Vise-grip
6. Various sockets, extensions, 1/2" drive breaker bar & universal joints
7. Correction fluid to enhance timing marks on cam pulleys & crank pulley

Parts:
*1. Belt
*2. Idler pulley
*3. Tensioner pulley
4. Hydraulic tensioner cylinder (Febi/Aisin)

*Items 1-3 comes in a box of kit for about $200, OEM Continental Tech. Item 4 must be purchased separately and it is around $110.

Allow yourself one weekend (2 days) for the procedure just to make sure. Also, listen to Jim, you must rotate the crank pulley with a breaker bar several turns to make sure nothing is hitting something. For all parts, I would go with OEM. Volvos are extremely sensitive to the quality of parts.

Wipers:
FCP Groton has headlight wipers.

Brake Light Problem:
You could start from the brake light switch at the brake pedal. Try using a can of electrical contact cleaner or WD-40 and connect & disconnect the connectors several times. There may be a loose connection or the switch has worn out.

Tune-up Items:
Except for spark plugs (you can go with either Champion, Bosch or Volvo, make sure to go with platinum), I would go with OEM.

OEM Items:
1. Cap & rotor: Bosch
2. Plug wire: Bougicord
3. Air filter: Mann
4. Fuel filter: Mann
5. Oil filter: Mann
6. Accessory drive belt: Continental Tech

Again, if you can find the thread "N00b here...", there is quite a bit of useful info. That's why it's pinned to the top.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I will sit down with my wife this weekend and get a plan together.

Regarding the brake lights: I meant the backup lights. I have read about the PNP switch, but the car shifts just fine. Is there something else that may cause the lights to be intermitent? They go on when you go into park, but will go off if you move the shifter too far (toward's 2,1). We have never had the arrow on the dash. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,