Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Windshield washer pump question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer pump question

Hi, I removed the 2 rubber hoses from the washer pump that goes by the reservoir. I forgot which hose goes where. There is the hose that comes from the reservoir to the pump, and the other that goes from the pump upwards. the pump has the 2 outlets, one going out the bottom and one from the side. which hose goes where? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Windshield washer pump question

Does the car have the headlight wipers and washers? If so, then it shouldn't matter which hose goes where if they are both outlet hoses, as the headlight washers squirt at the same time as the windshield wipers. IF you took an inlet and an outlet hose off, then it will matter which hose goes where.

I would simply hook them up and try the washers. If they do not work, then switch the hoses and try again. You will not hurt anything if the hoses are connected up wrong for a short test.

Glenn

Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I hooked t back up but unfortunately now i am not getting power to the pump connector. All the wipers work including the headlight ones but no spray. Me and my mechanic friend figured it may be the relay since that is the power source according to the wiring diagram. Any input on this? Is it possible for the pump to ot work but wipers still work. I think its still the same relay.

Thanks for any help. I need winshield washer in this nasty weather.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Seperate circuit.
http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/

Look there for the wiring.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the help Mr Tech. However im having trouble using the manual. I cannot access any of the pages. Is there any way someone can tell me where the power source is for the winshield washer pump. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Also I have noticed that there is a female and male connector behind the the passenger headlight and in front of the washer reservoir that is not connected. Anyone know what its for? Im thinking it may be connected to the washer problem, however there is no power coming to those connectors as well. Maybe its for the rear washer pump?? I will try to get a pic of it tonight. Thanks Again

Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 PM

^What year is your car?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 PM

1996 850 turbo station wagon

Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Hm........

I don't know how to read wiring diagrams...But the link worked for me....

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader?

I have copied and pasted the necessary pages, but the copy and paste is making the print very very small for some of the diagrams.

Edit: I can send you these through email. It's small (gotta use the zoom tool a bunch using Adobe Acrobat Readier) but it gives you an idea of where everything is...

PM me your email, and I can send it through MS word and see if it helps at all...

Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Default Mystery Hose

Feel your pain huzz. I thought I had the top of the "upward hose" coming from the pump. After blowing air through it I realized it was not.

I had thought the "upward hose" was connecting to the plastic valve seen after popping the hood. When I shot some air through from standing over the car I could hear the fluid bubbling around.

When I shot air through the "upward hose" laying underneath the car, I could hear it blowing out somewhere, my buddy felt around the couple of hoses seen from standing over the car and did not feel any air coming out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Also, my car doesn't have wiper blades on the headlights, does that mean there is no fluid which is sprayed on the headlights?

Last edited by fkrowland; 02-10-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

You know you responded to a 9 year old post right?

depends if you have a wagon or sedan. Wagon has two pumps. The nipple that comes off the bottom towards the front of the car is for the rear pump and only runs the rear sprayer. The front pump runs the front sprayers and also if equipped with headlight wiper will spray those at the same time. The T is usually yellow and located down between the filler neck and headlight. There are also pressure restrictors that balance the spray between the two. The only common ground between the front and rear pumps is the washer bottle. Other than that they are completely separate.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:33 PM
mpe

Hello All,,is there a relay that controls the washers does anyone know?
Both my front screen and tail-gate washers don't work - I have no head-lamp wiper/washers.
As suggested above I have checked the engine compartment fuse F3 35AMP and the one above the pedals (RHD) fuse F34 15 AMP, both OK.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The headlamp wipe/wash and windshield wash is all on circuit, and i looks to me like the washer pump should run even if the relay is unplugged. That's what I think should happen. That comes directly off the switch. The relay controls wiper speed and delay. I don't think the relay can be your problem, but you be the judge.

Robert has a video showing the location of the relay. Note however the intent of this video is to rob a VW, so skip past the VW's.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 05-06-2021 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mpe (05-07-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpe
Hello All,,is there a relay that controls the washers does anyone know?
Both my front screen and tail-gate washers don't work - I have no head-lamp wiper/washers.
As suggested above I have checked the engine compartment fuse F3 35AMP and the one above the pedals (RHD) fuse F34 15 AMP, both OK.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If wipers work, but washers don't, then it's not the relays. Most likely both washer pumps are seized and need to be replaced. There are also inline filters that are likely clogged with gunk and also need replacement.
I gave up trying to keep my rear tailgate washer working as there is also a one-way check valve in the rear quarter panel (under the plastic covers) that only seems to work for short time before clogging. Replacing it with a piece of tubing isn't a great solution either.

Assuming your next question is where are the two washer pumps..
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...r-motor-15649/

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/se...sherSystem.pdf

Last edited by gdog; 05-11-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:03 AM
mpe

Hello All, FIXED IT I have found the problem, but I don't think it will help others.

The two wires that SHOULD have gone to the pump had been deliberately cut and professionally insulated with heat-shrink, even a heat-shrink cap on the outer trunking.

The screen pump had been connected in parallel with the high-pressure headlamp washer pump, which I understand is on a timer to pulse it periodically to conserve screen-wash. Neither worked, now both work.
__________________________________________________ _______
FIXED IT (see above) Thanks everyone

On my 2006 V70 D5 it is VERY easily accessible from under the car, nothing to be removed.

Looking at the circuit diagram it would appear that the pump is powered directly from FUSE 34 and the washer ‘stalk’ to pump 6/127 but the contacts on the stalk look too light to take the current.

With an Ohm meter should I read continuity between ground and both contacts on the pump connector when not activated by the stalk as the diagram indicates?

Am I miss-reading the wiring diagram?

Last edited by mpe; 05-12-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: FIXED IT !