Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Problem

Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Problem

The windshield washer does not work on my 2005 XC90. When I activate the washer, the headlight washers work but the front and rear washers do not. My guess is that the switch is working since the headlight washer works. Does the pump that runs the headlight washer also run the regular wiper washers or are they on separate pumps? Any suggestions for tracking down the problem?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:38 PM

I solved a similar problem on my '04 XC90, same symptoms.

I found the suction strainer for the pump to be glazed over with a slime.

Had to remove RF tire, pull back the inner fender to access the pump assy at the bottom of the tank. After removing the retaining clips and wire harness the pump just plugs into a grommet/strainer in the tank. The strainer can then be pulled out and cleaned, if required. You will lose all the washer fluid so a catch pan will be handy.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to pull it apart and see if the pump is working. Looked like it would be most time efficient when I did the next oil change and tire rotation. Hopefully my wife will let me wait that long to pursue the issue.

7.3L PSD huh? My personal rig is an OBS 97 7.3L PSD with several modifications. Best motor ever produced in my opinion. A little too much truck for my wife though. Serious work and back country rig.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Definately the pump. Guess this happens frequently. Tracked down this info on another forum:

Posted by Sheikhr:
I managed to change the washer pump from underneath the car and I didnt have to take off the front bumper so it looks like I was lucky that on my year / model, the (rear and front windshield) washer pump was not hidden and not inaccessible. Ive listed all the steps I went through to diagnose and repair. Its probably too detailed but hopefully it will help.

General Diagnosis:

- Determine whether a) front windshield washer b) rear windshield washer c) headlight washers work

- if a or b work but not both: Fuse ok. Most likely to be some sort of blockage. Possibly a faulty pump but I guess very unlikely

- if a and b work but not c, either headlight washer fuse or headlight washer pump blown / not working. Also please note headlight washers do not work if water level low and only work every 4th pull of the trigger.

- if c works but not a and b, either windshield washer pump fuse or windshield washer pump not working

- if a, b and c do not work???? Unlikely that both fuses and or pumps fail at the same time. Perhaps a loose connection on the trigger you pull to activate the washers.

Diagnosis and repair for pipe blockage:

-Check washer jets on top of bonnet / rear windscreen are not frozen / blocked.....perhaps insert pin into the nozzles to unblock

-Open bonnet. Locate the washer reservoir. My washer reservoir was on the driver side of the engine. Top up if low (particularly if headlight washer not working)

-Check for disconnected pipes / blockages in all pipes (clipped in on the underside of the bonnet near the windscreen) and T's which lead up to the washer jets . You can blow / suck the pipes to check for free flow (although its not particularly pleasant for your mouth!)

Diagnosis and repair for fuses:

-Check relevant fuses (refer to owner manual).

In my 2004 SE, the headlight washer jets and the windshield (front and rear) washer jets had 2 different fuses and are operated by 2 different pumps. I think this is consistent with all the models.

I beleive this can differ on different models.....but on mine....

"Fuse box in the passenger compartment within the sound barrier on the drivers side. "Fuse no 34. Washer Pump 15amp." The diagram of the fuse box only goes up to fuse no 30! I managed to find fuse no 34. Its not on the diagram in the book but if you look in the fuse box, its to the left of the main fuses and is the 15amp larger fuse and its numbered (very small) 34 just above the fuse. Use a lamp to see the fuse numbers.

"Fuse box in the engine compartment. Fuse no 15. High pressure washer headlamps."

Washer pump removal / blockage:

- If all the above are ok, its likely to be something wrong with the washer pump. Could be blockages on washer pump but a common issue seems to be a failed washer pump.

- PLEASE NOTE (as sugested by Southport Volvo) that the pump is actually a Ford part and it is less than half the price at Ford £21.24). Ford finis code / part number 1355124 / IS71-17K264-FE. My old pump was suffixed with a FD instead of FE but the new pump seems to work fine.

- Turn wheels to right

- Use a lamp / torch shined on the area (even if its bright outside)

- Get underneath the car and locate the bottom of the washer reservoir

- My washer reservoir was on the drivers side, towards the front end (ie towards the front end of the car) of the wheel arch

-My washer pump was visible at the bottom of the reservoir and towards the back (ie towards the rear end of the car) of the reservoir. It seems other models / years have the pump located at the bottom front of the reservoir (in which case you may need to follow the other instructions to remove the front bumper)

-Washer pump Photo attached athough it looks bigger in the photo. Its prob about 5/6 cm high.

NB. The end that is not visible in the pic, is a round 2*2cm opening which pushes into the reservoir

-Unclip the front end of the wheel arch from the rear end of the front bumper. Mine had one rivet that pushed out.

-Ideally, wedge something between the bumper and the wheel arch so you can get you hand in freely and if you can open further rivets to make access easier, go ahead.

-Get 2 large mixing bowls from the Mrs!! (particularly if you want to keep the washer fluid) (if the reservoir is full it fills up 2 large bowls)

-Before removing the washer pump, try to pull the connector off the top of the pump. (There are no clips but it was very tight). I did not do this but in hindsight, if it was possible to remove connector first it may have been easier).

-Also, I guess you could check whether power is getting to the connector using a multimeter (although I never tried this) and the most likely cause will be a failed washer pump.

-Place bowls under the pump

- Remove the washer pump. This should simply pull / wiggle out.

- If there are any obvious blockages, you may just be able to unblock and reconnect.

-Note down which pipe attaches to which outlet on the pump. (The white outlet linked in with the pipe which had a white insert as well so it was easy to remember.)

-Detach pipes

-If there are any obvious blockages, you may just be able to reconnect.

-Detach connector (if not done before)

Washer Pump replacement:

-To replace pump

-Connect pipes first (making sure you connect the correct pipe to the correct outlet)

-Attach electrical connection at top of pump

-Push fit pump into washer reservoir

-Refill washer reservoir BEFORE testing (and please note the headlight washers will not work when the reservoir water level is low)

-Test windscreeen washers (front and rear)

-If ok, refit pipes into clips

-Reconnect wheel arch to bumper with rivet

- If not ok, I guess come back to the forum!

Good Luck
Last edited by sheikhr; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 15:11. Reason: Photo link added

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 PM

I had some trouble locating the part under the Ford number but did find it under a Volvo number. It does have a Ford number on the part.

Ford# 1S71-17K624-FE
Volvo# 30699952

Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BackCountry
Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to pull it apart and see if the pump is working. Looked like it would be most time efficient when I did the next oil change and tire rotation. Hopefully my wife will let me wait that long to pursue the issue.

7.3L PSD huh? My personal rig is an OBS 97 7.3L PSD with several modifications. Best motor ever produced in my opinion. A little too much truck for my wife though. Serious work and back country rig.

My F250 is a crew cab 4X4 so the wife won't drive it either.

I like that rundown on the washer pump troubleshooting and diagnosis. I had headlight washer but no windshield or rear washer. I'm glad I didn't have to remove the bumper. sounds like I could have taken less off for access but that helped be see what I was getting into on my repair. If the pump fails maybe I will remember to look here for the Ford number.
Thanks!

Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Default washer hose diasconnect ?

My xc90 head lights and rear washers squirt and work fine, but windshield doesnt get sprayed and you can see washer fluid leaking from underside of the vehicle. This leads me to think there is a hose disconnected or a broken fitting. I have no idea where the hose routing is nor anything about access to same. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated, Thx.

Last edited by jimsque1; 11-15-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 AM
Default Volvo XC90 front windscreen not working solved

Hi i had a problem with my 2005 volvo xc 90 where the front windscreen washer did not work and the back washer worked. I solved this problem by first checking if the pump works by just listening, and heard that the pump was working so i then open the bonnet and checked again and saw that the washer fluid went all over the engine, I then found that a grommet was missing from the washer pipe (This is the picture https://i.imgur.com/RYP0Fn9.jpg) and when blocking with my finger it all worked and went back to normal, so all i needed to do was get a part to fit.

Last edited by Devon Spurway; 01-08-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Image
Old 05-11-2017, 02:24 AM
Default Same here

Originally Posted by Devon Spurway
Hi i had a problem with my 2005 volvo xc 90 where the front windscreen washer did not work and the back washer worked. I solved this problem by first checking if the pump works by just listening, and heard that the pump was working so i then open the bonnet and checked again and saw that the washer fluid went all over the engine, I then found that a grommet was missing from the washer pipe (This is the picture https://i.imgur.com/RYP0Fn9.jpg) and when blocking with my finger it all worked and went back to normal, so all i needed to do was get a part to fit.
@Devon, the exact same has happened to me. Do you happen to have the part number?

Old 05-11-2017, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by sp33dr
@Devon, the exact same has happened to me. Do you happen to have the part number?
Hi Sp33dr. We designed and printed a part to resolve the problem. If you have a 3d printer we can email you the .stl files or we can print one for you which will be $5 excl shipping. www.the3dprintfarm.com/home
Regards
Devon

Old 05-11-2017, 06:22 PM

volvo xc90 windshield washer t connector
LMGTFY

Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Default My XC 90 window washer pump failure reason (photo's)

On my 2009 XC 90 V8 it was just a case of a serious blockage as shown below.
It was strange as when I first pulled the pump from the tank this filter/rubber seal combo remained in position and consequently no water came from the tank. Once I realised one must remove the washer because it is also the filter it all came gushing out and there was not only the gunk you see on the filter but there was also quite a bit on the floor from flushing the tank out with a hi pressure hose. Its all back together and working fine now but I didn't have access to a new filter so have ordered one on line and will change it once it arrives

As removed from bottom of tank

As removed from bottom of tank

After cleaning

After cleaning

Last edited by T5AUS; 05-25-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: script
Old 03-25-2020, 10:52 AM
Default Tracing My Windshield Washer Problem... Stumped!

Hi - thanks for all this info. I'm still struggling to diagnose my washer fluid issue.
Here are my symptoms - any help would be super appreciated:
  • Rear wiper works.
  • Front driver side headlight wiper works, but no washer fluid comes out.
  • Passenger headlight wiper does not work at all, also no fluid.
  • Main windshield wipers work, but no fluid at all comes out.
  • I also can hear that usual humming noise when the rear washer fluid is engaged with the steering trigger.
  • I can NOT hear any humming noise when I engage the front washer fluid.
  • The fuses are all good from what I can tell.
  • The reservoir is full and not leaking.
Think it's a bad pump?

Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

what model/year? if the switch action doesn't turn on the pump, then its pump, wiring or switch. if you can access the connector at the pump, check voltage. Given how you may need to remove things (on my S40 for example, the passenger headlight needs to come out) you may want to have a replacement pump in hand.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the response.
It's a 2001 XC70 (V70 X/C I guess technically).
Yeah, I can't seem to get to the pump without taking some stuff apart - it's not visible from underneath that I can tell.
Shouldn't I be hearing that humming sound when the steering wheel trigger is engaged? I hear nothing, the wipers just wipe the windshield...
But the passenger headlight wiper (near the fluid reservoir, etc.) doesn't budge, either... seems like it could be some kind of wiring or fuse that connects them both??

Old 03-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I'd start with checking fuses (owners manual should say which), then test at the washer pump connector (unless you can find the other end via a wiring diagram). Check Youtube or google for guides on how to access the washer pump. As with the motor for the headlight wiper arm, those can fail independently so again you can find its connector (probably need to remove the grill center to find it) and see if you get voltage when actuating the switch). If there's no pump noise and a wiper motor is down, then its back to the wire diagram to look for common sources and ground points.

The following users liked this post:
mthrlwd (03-25-2020)
Old 05-09-2021, 06:02 AM
mpe
Default screen washer V70 2006 Desiel

Hello all, Can any of you knowledgable people tell me where to find the front & rear screen washer fuse and/or relay? No mention of it in the owners manual anywhere.

I have established FUSE 34 in the passenger compartment is for the 'high pressure headlamp' washers. If I take this out the headlamp washers stop working.

I have replace RELAY FST3 - which is marked RELAY, HIGH PRESSURE HEADLAMP WASHER, just in case there was any connection.

I have had the screen pump out and tested it and it works fine, I assume the polarity is revered to 'squirt' either the front or rear screens.

Nowhere can I find a fuse for the front and rear screen washers, and neither work - wipers OK
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by mpe; 05-09-2021 at 07:09 AM.