Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Would like to wire in an ammeter

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a bad battery? It might not be holding a charge.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog
Actually kyle, you're incorrect (if i understand what you're saying here). You seem to be saying current will drive the voltage in a circuit; that's actually a common misconception (don't worry, you're not the only one). It's the other way round; voltage is the driver.

You can't "make" current; the only way to make current is to apply a voltage to a circuit. You can have voltage w/o current in a circuit, but you cannot have current w/o an applied voltage.
What I am talking about is known as "ohms law" and is an algebraic equation. the idea is to find voltage you multiply amperage (current) and resistance (load). you can also find current by dividing voltage by resistance, or resistance by dividing voltage by current.

Getting to the point- by using Ohm's law, you can deduce that if the current does not supply the load then voltage will suffer.

i found this picture by doing a google image search of ohms law, it might help explain better-

http://www.hondaforeman.com/attachme...w-triangle.jpg

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jocoman
wow. I never thought this was a big deal. In the old days it was quite common to see trio guages. Volts, amps and oil pressure.
Yeah in the bad old days; but gauges cost $$ and 99% of people don't look at them; that's why auto manufacturers did away with them. If you want gauges, spend the money and put them in. We're just trying to help you solve a problem and so far haven't heard what it is...

Something is not quite right with my charging system. After start, the voltage drops and then rises.
Re-read post #7 please.
  1. What is your resting (key-off) battery voltage?
  2. What is it while the starter is cranking (but before the engine starts)?
  3. What is it with engine idling with lights and other accessories on?
  4. What is it at above idle (2k rpm)?

After that I have good voltage,
What is "good" voltage? Do you have an onboard voltmeter?

but i don't seem to get a fully charged battery unless I go for a longer ride.
Have you had your battery charged and load tested? Have you ckd for parasitic draws? How much do you drive the car? How old is the battery? Does it sit for long periods out in cold weather? Etc.

So I thought it would be good to know what kind of current is going back into the battery. In searching posts on this forum, several members have claimed you can have good voltage but poor current. That is the condition I wanted to test for. I liked "firebirdparts" replies, so I have a good idea on how to proceed now. Thanks for all the responses.
As has been discussed, measuring the current will give you some more info, but if you're trying to solve a charging system problem, you can do that w/o all the hassle and expense of installing of an onboard ammeter. Answering above questions will help us help you...

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle17428
What I am talking about is known as "ohms law" and is an algebraic equation. the idea is to find voltage you multiply amperage (current) and resistance (load). you can also find current by dividing voltage by resistance, or resistance by dividing voltage by current.

Getting to the point- by using Ohm's law, you can deduce that if the current does not supply the load then voltage will suffer.

i found this picture by doing a google image search of ohms law, it might help explain better-

http://www.hondaforeman.com/attachme...w-triangle.jpg
I think you missed my point; please re-read my post #19.

Are you trying to teach me ohm's law?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
I think you missed my point; please re-read my post #19.

Are you trying to teach me ohm's law?
oh I get the point you're TRYING to make. But if you test the principals of ohms law you will find that if there is an issue with current it will be represented by voltage as well. You're not wrong, you just seem to be thinking a bit 2 dimensionally.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM

In the old days it was quite common to see trio guages. Volts, amps and oil pressure. Something is not quite right with my charging system. After start, the voltage drops and then rises. After that I have good voltage, but i don't seem to get a fully charged battery unless I go for a longer ride.
I've never seen a car with an ammeter in the cabin. Usually its oil pressure, temp, and voltage.

if that's the problem you need to do a charging system test with a vat40/vat45. This will load test both the battery and alternator so you can pinpoint the problem