Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

anti-lock brakes or the anti-skid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti-lock brakes or the anti-skid?

I noticed a change in my car. On my way home, the street is downhill and curves. Whenever I take this street, the car speeds up (downhill) and as it takes the curve the brakes automatically slow the car (without me applying the brakes). I noticed it doesn't do that anymore. Can anyone tell me if this is the anti-lock brakes or the anti-skid feature?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

anti-lock brakes and the anti-skid use the same system (the ABS) for two different purposes. the ABS system relies on speed sensors on each wheel then calculates the differential between each wheel to give instructions to the ABS pump. So when you are braking, the ABS pump pulses pressure to the slow wheel to allow it to rotate thus avoiding a lock up and helping you maintain control. Anti-skid is when during accelleration or normal driving (ie no braking involved) it pulses pressure to the fastest wheel to slow it down (this allows the differential to throw power to the other wheel for traction control.) So if you take a sharp corner, the anti-skid should not come on unless there's a delta between the wheel speeds front/rear or left/right. Maybe you're just driving slower on the curves?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
anti-lock brakes and the anti-skid use the same system (the ABS) for two different purposes. the ABS system relies on speed sensors on each wheel then calculates the differential between each wheel to give instructions to the ABS pump. So when you are braking, the ABS pump pulses pressure to the slow wheel to allow it to rotate thus avoiding a lock up and helping you maintain control. Anti-skid is when during accelleration or normal driving (ie no braking involved) it pulses pressure to the fastest wheel to slow it down (this allows the differential to throw power to the other wheel for traction control.) So if you take a sharp corner, the anti-skid should not come on unless there's a delta between the wheel speeds front/rear or left/right. Maybe you're just driving slower on the curves?
Yea, it's based on the way I'm taking the curve. It came on today. Good to know things are back to normal.