Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Clunk-clunk-clunk goes the drivers' side front

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk-clunk-clunk goes the drivers' side front

Okay, I know there are a number of "clunking" threads on here for other Volvo models, but many are old or unresolved. Here are my symptoms coming from my 2010 C30 Manual trans with 93k miles.
To recreate the noise, I must:
1. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right.
2. When turning back to the straightened position, I hear one to three clunks / pops (metallic sounding). Sometimes there's also a bit of a groan at the end.
- No clunks when turning Left.
-No clunks when turning less than 100% to the right.
-No clunks when turning right on a flat surface -- only when straightening out. Except...
- Clunks are *much* more loud and pronounced when turning hard right into a driveway with a bit of a curb and an incline. Then I hear the clunks during the turn and also when straightening out.
- Noise is coming from drivers side.
- No difference whether the brakes are applied or not.

I'm a complete novice, but my husband is looking to DIY the repairs. I would love to have some ideas for where he should start! We just spent $2k at the mechanic on our clutch, so I know he doesn't want to go back there just yet.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

clunks usually point to a strut bearing/spring seat problem at the top of the strut, but can also be sway bar end links. You may also want to check the motor mounts and transmission mounts, particularly if the clunks happen when you have the gear engaged. Does it clunk when you turn with the car in neutral?

Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
clunks usually point to a strut bearing/spring seat problem at the top of the strut, but can also be sway bar end links. You may also want to check the motor mounts and transmission mounts, particularly if the clunks happen when you have the gear engaged. Does it clunk when you turn with the car in neutral?
Thank you! And yes, it does clunk with the car in neutral.
From what I've seen on these forums, most of the above seem like things we can check on a Saturday afternoon without much trouble. Do you agree? And I also assume there's no major risk in daily (city + highway) driving for another week or two?