Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Interested in Buying C30

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in Buying C30

Hello, Volvo owners and specifically C30 owners.

Lately, I've had a C30 kind of wandering around in my head for the past couple of weeks due to seeing one on the road a while back. After looking around, it seems you can find these at a reasonable price or at least that's what I'm seeing through sites such as Carvana & Carmax(they seem to be the only ones who have them). I'm specifically looking for models 2010 and below due to personal preference on the front end design, the T5 engine as well as a manual which is another personal preference.

My biggest questions is are these cars headaches. My longest relationship with a car was a 2011 Volkswagen Sportwagen TDI back in 2014. Absolutely loved it. EGR & DPF Delete, Stage 2 tune, 3" turbo back exhaust and kept it original inside and outside. But...when it broke, it broke! Turbo blew, transmission blew, wheel bearings seemed to go out constantly, preventative maintenance such as a serpentine belt and water pump would leave you 1800 dollars short. Finally, the injectors were going out and I couldn't find it in me to keep it any longer due to the absolute price so I gave her up in 2018. It was a turbo diesel. Obviously more expensive but I'm just curious the expected repairs on a T5 Volvo especially here in the United States.

I've seen YouTube videos on things such as the coolant reservoir replacement, lower radiator hose leak, thermostat housing and so on. Do the "bigger things" such as turbo, head gaskets, transmission come up generally? And if they do, would a poor man such as myself be able to swallow the news. I never owned a Swedish car besides a 1985 Saab 900 Turbo which I don't think counts!

Thank you if you read this far. In hopes I can join a new crowd of people.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:38 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

The engine and trans is the same as most other Volvos during that time period - The 5 cyl turbo and AW50/51 transmission. The C30 (and s40/50) are unlike other Volvos in that there is no low coolant warning system. Plastic/rubber coolant stuff gets old, leaks, driver does not notice, and you end up with major engine damage.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to own a "62 P1800 (and I wish I saved it in a barn or something till now) but anyway with the Volvo brand today you may also see an insurance saving for the safety features built in....I did with State Farm. C30 is a cool car to drive. Mine is a 2009. A peppy 227 hp 5 cyl... 250HP with the Polestar tune (though I think those are pricey at the dealer)...But this car, with that upgrade, has more horsepower than my old 1989 Mustang 5.0 with a Ford 302 cu in.V8 (that car was 225 stock from the factory) ...Yeah and that's with 8 cylinders...verses the Volvo 5. I like the stock wheels as well...but just don't like low profile tires. But the car handles very well even with the stock suspension. I have the black seats, and they are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in any car...just drove up to Yosemite this week (that's a 7 hour 1200 mi. drive all together from San Diego). Only stop to streach was getting gas twice. But this car is a strict hatchback. Forget about any room for adults in the back seat. Good for the dog and some hiking stuff, that's all...I just leave the rear seats down all the time. Just as all cars have their issues...the C30 has a few as well. Check the owners service records when you buy. Front lower control arm bushings go by 60K. Cooling hoses and the reservoir are known to need to be replaced once they develop cracks and this car runs very hot (but there is a universal aluminum coolant mod tank out there now on ebay). Be VERY careful with anything electric on this car (seats, audio, etc.). There is a sensor in the car somewhere for everything. Even things that I don't think you need a sensor for...are sensored. Buy an iCarsoft reader/scanner that has SRS capability...or you'll have to go to rely on the dealer for their VIDA scanner at X$ per read for any codes YOU could have reset.
If you replace the battery, don't wait till it wont start some morning like I did...change it when it tests weak AND ALWAYS disconnect the neg. lead FIRST if you remove the battery or want to do anything electric (short of changing a light bulb). Positive lead connects first on reconnect. This car uses the chassis as a voltage circuit conduit. And can throw the dreaded "SRS air bag control module failure" code which means the air bag module just got fried...which means that's a dealer $1200 replacement item...unless you DIY and wait for a $120 reset unit from the UK...and replacing it yourself (which I chose to do) is not fun. But if you do the maintenance by the manual (hopefully the seller still had the owners manual) and you watch the frigging pot holes (especially with low profile tires. C30 IS a very nice car overall. It's safe, it's reasonably fast, nice smooth turbo. And the 1973 1800ES (which I've also owned) inspired rear styling speaks for itself. I won't mod mine....tint might be okay...as I live in CA...but I am leaving the rest of the car stock. I think the resale value will hold well that way....and I think Jay Leno would agree.

The following users liked this post:
mb2b (06-15-2022)