Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

SRS-Airbag Service Urgent 2011 Volvo C30 Help

Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS-Airbag Service Urgent 2011 Volvo C30 Help

Hi, I have a 2011 C30 1.6 diesel DRIVe SE.

We got a Key ring stuck in the passenger front seat RHS rail and I had to disassemble the rail to sort this. During this work, the electrical socket for the seat's airbag was disconnected and, yes, then the ignition was turned on. Of course, the earth lead was still connected to the battery so the dash is now showing "SRS-Airbag Service Urgent". Now, as I'm sure you realize, reconnecting the seat connector has not removed the warning so I bet you know my question:

How do I turn off this warning?

Can I fix it? Various threads suggest I may be able to turn it off using VIDA DiCE, but others say this cannot be done.

Can a third party fix it? I've contacted a couple of auto tech firms who suggest they can, but they require the numbers from the car's ECU (and I don't even know where this module is located). Also, will the SRS module need any attention?

Should I submit the car to a main dealer? This sounds like it is by far my most expensive option.

Reading the above, I sound pretty clueless, but this C30 is my first Volvo. I am a reasonably experienced home mechanic but have not encountered this airbag problem before - if anyone can help and give some clear advice, I would be really, really quite pleased.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It needs to be reset with VIDA.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 PM

I'm a hew Volvo owner 2001 v70, with same air bag problem. what is Vida? I have a lot to learn as I'm finding out reading these posts and probably will be asking more questions. Seems like a nice bunch of people here, will enjoy this Forum, I'm sure!
Fred H

Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's what we use at the dealer to read and clear codes. VIDA is the software, DiCE is the hardware.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Default Thanks ES6T

Thanks so much ES6T, I'll go shopping for VIDA (and DiCE, I guess) right now - what a relief to know something can be done.

Also, I would like to write good luck to Fred H - we both know what to do now.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum Supermarine and Fred

Can you guys add a location to your profile so we have an idea where you are at ?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Default Thanks again ES6T

All sorted now - thank you very much for your help

Old 12-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Default Same thing

I've been having the same problem

I'm not sure what set it light off in the first place but it has been on FOR EVAR!

I have truly been hoping its just a little connector issue but im not car-literate so I'm hoping to learn more.

Any tips?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by LaceyLees
I've been having the same problem

I'm not sure what set it light off in the first place but it has been on FOR EVAR!

I have truly been hoping its just a little connector issue but im not car-literate so I'm hoping to learn more.

Any tips?
Hi, My problem was simply failing to connect the airbag socket under the passenger seat. This was easy to fix, but I needed to get some Volvo diagnostic tools to turn the "SRS-Airbag Service Urgent" light off.

In your case, it seems you'll need to find the fault that caused the warning, fix this, and then get the equipment mentioned earlier in this thread so you can turn off the warning.
It's your choice but I think, for your own peace of mind, you should let a Volvo technician sort this out for you.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Hi, the same error message appeared to me too. I went to a Volvo technician, who's computer said "driver's seat belt". I took off the driver's seat and cleaned all the connections under it. In the same time, I erased from the system the error message (with the help of the iCarsoft i906 Volvo diagnostic device) and for a couple of days everything went OK. Then, again the same message. This time I asked someone with more experience and he told me to check the connections at the belt tensioner in the door's pole and, after removing the plastic cover, I found a disconnected cable. I put it back in its place, erased the error message and, since then, everything is in order.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Thanks a bunch!
We'll try that this weekend

Its currently at the dealership...but, theyre pretty darn pricey.
I was hoping for a quick fix - guess we'll see!

I won't root around too much, but I'll probably have my more car knowledgeable friends see if they can take a quick look at that.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Hi Tracey,

I'm getting a little concerned about the interest my original post is attracting here. This is because the fault that needed correcting on my car was clear to me, as I had unplugged the PODS connector that sends data to the airbag logic. As such it was an obvious fix.

I am worried that there may be a more serious reason for your fault and, because of this possibility, I must ask you to think very carefully about whether it might be better to leave your car in the dealership, and get it fixed by a professional.