Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Volvo to enter the sport compact market?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo to enter the sport compact market?

The era of the boxy Volvo 240 is long gone, and nothing emphasizes that point more than the popularity of the C30. This small (by Volvo standards) hatchback offers the quality associated with the Volvo name, with a sportier feel and a size that yields better efficiency, but with the growing demand for performance minded models, Volvo aims to take a swipe at the sport compact market in the European market as soon as 2009.

The C30 shares a chassis platform with the Ford Focus RS, which is a Europe-only model, even though American Ford enthusiasts have been clamoring to get their hands on a US market Focus RS for quite some time. The Focus RS is equipped with a turbocharger, 2.5 liter in-line five cylinder, and we can expect to see the same power plant in a performance trimline of the C30, but Volvo has indicated that the Volvo will have the advantage of all wheel drive.

The current C30 is aimed at competing with models such as the VW Golf and the Mini Cooper, and with a price starting around $23,000, the base model C30 is fairly inexpensive, so should the C30 performance model make it to the States, the turbo AWD C30 could offer a sort of luxury-coupe opposition to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru STi.

Volvo has made several moves to make their models more attractive to younger buyers, and this possible high performance C30 could put Volvo into the sport compact limelight.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM

Has anyone actually driven the C30? is it any good? I have seen a couple of them and look pretty cool

Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 AM

I'm 35, married with three boys, so would not consider myself the target segment for this car. However, as a lover of performance hatchbacks I had to check this out and ended up immediately purchasing one. I think its a tremendous value and far exceeds the VW GTI (have had 2). I love it.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm so glad to hear that. I agonized over my decision between the GTI and the C30.

As far as style, the C30 wins hands down. I couldn't stop admiring it in the showroom. Whereas the GTI is just kinda eh. It blends in. It's hard to dismiss, though, because it's packed with so many features for less. But as I checked it out, put the seats down and closed and opened the doors, I couldn't get over the fact that it felt more like a toy car. It's not nearly as solid or well-made as the C30.

Then there's the comfort factor. I was immediately struck by it in the C30. The GTI, while it supposedly offers more headroom, just felt closed-in. The seats aren't as supportive, either.

Finally, the test drive. I could feel just how much zip the GTI has, but that was almost a detriment in Chicago's stop and go traffic. You know how the first time you drive a car, it's a little awkward 'til you get used to it? I never quite got used to driving the GTI. The C30, on the other hand, was a breeze from the word go. It's got plenty of muscle, but the driving experience isn't as active. I know that's a negative for many driving enthusiasts. But I'm a commuter, and I don't wanna have to work before I get to work.

In any case, I hope I'm as happy as I think I'll be.