Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

02 c70 blowing white smoke

Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 c70 blowing white smoke

Hey everyone and thank you in advance for all your guys knowledge and expirence.. Okay just bought my 2nd Volvo and the owners said it has a bad turbo? It is blowing out white smoke from exhaust alotttt of smoke it is constant blowing. I haven't tried driving it around. I was thinking rings or something next week is %50 off at junk yard I plan on having it diagnosed by then and possibly saving alotttt of money on doing it my self with a junk yard used turbo or how much to rebuild the turbo? If that's even the problem I'll post a video to show the smoke?

Attached Files
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't watch your video but from what you describe it could be the turbo or one or two other things. Is the smoke more of a grey - white rather than pure white. If the turbo went then there is most likely excess oil leaking into your cylinders. If the problem is the turbo then it can be either severe or something that is just starting. It is good that you are not driving it as you can really damage you motor. I had a turbo go on my Land Rover Discovery Td5 and the person that was driving mentioned a ton of smoke was emitted. I would think that you would be throwing some sort of code if the turbo is gone.

A word of caution, if you are looking a rebuilding the turbo it needs to be done by either a reputable shop which would probably cost more than finding a used turbo. I would not even consider rebuilding a turbo as it has to be specially balanced since it turns over at up to tens of thousands of RPM. If you find it is the turbo then you really need to examine it to see if any fins have broken off and if so check to see if the debris has not entered the motor.

White smoke might indicate a head gasket problem as well. Check the oil to see if there is any coolant that has mixed in (it would be frothy or bubbly) or the coolant to see if there is any oily residue in that.

Either way it seems that it will not be an easy fix.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saving money on a used turbo might cost u an engine!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

typically white smoke means either the papal conclave has selected a new pope or your are getting coolant or condensation into the exhaust. Condensation will burn off fairly quickly. In terms of coolant, this can be due to a cracked head or bad head gasket or possibly a turbo seal problem. You can rebuild a turbo with new seals fairly cheaply (the hard part is getting the turbo out of the car but check out the vids on Youtube -
) or even install an upgrade (ie 18T). I wouldn't worry too much about going used considering you can then rebuild yours if it proves to fix the smoke. The concern I'd have is determining if its really a head or gasket problem.