Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

04 C70 convertible top alignment / closing help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 C70 convertible top alignment / closing help

I have a c70 04. Today I was closing the top and It stopped short of the rear window part going down. I noticed that the piece that goes down (Plastic) in the trunk area where the rear window part of the top is suppose to rest on is was not down all the way on the drivers side. I pushed it down and I heard something break. The top closes now but I noticed that the piece that comes down is not going all the way down as it should. It is not even/ flush with the rest of the car as is the passenger side. The piece that broke was the plastic around where that piece latches on to. Is there a way to adjust this? Has anyone had similar problems? I dont know if it was always like that or if this just happened.
Thanks for any help.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM

I have one of these, and am fairly familiar with the parts, but am not totally clear on what you are saying. I am guessing one of two things broke - one is the little flap that matches your interior color that closes when the top is down and flips up when you put the top up. My other guess is the black plastic cover held on by three screws that covers the side of the latch mechanism for the back panel inside the top storage area. Which is it?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM

What is broken is the black cover that covers the mechanism. What im wondering is why the part that closes (the part that flips down same color as interior) is hitting that. It should not hit it which is why I think it is not closing all the way. I am wondering if it is an alignment issue.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM

It is odd that it hits the cover. Let me first say that your top will work fine without the cover plate, but it serves a very important function. If the cover is off the headliner material on your top will rub on the latch when you put the top down and it will tear holes in it. The bad news is you cannot buy just he cover - you have to buy the whole lathch, so you may have some creative gluing in your future.

If when your back panel closes it has clearance on each side of the opening then it seem to be aligned ok. I would first close it a bit at a time and just look for any problem areas. For example, maybe the weather strip on the body behind the seat got pulled up and won't let it go all the way down. Make sure the latch looks installed correctly, etc.
The adjust the back panel in terms of how far it closes, look on the panel itlsef. You will see what thw latch cathes and pulls down. It is a round steel rod bent like and "L" witha nut at the top. The nut never gets tight, it is just to raise and lower the "L" for adjustment. To malethe panle close tighter, turn the nut to raise the L. Let me know what you find.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I am the king of typos, so if you can't deciper all my message let me know.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM

No worries Doug thanks for the info. I adjusted that nut and it seems to be closing all the way down now but You are right I have some creating gluing to do now since they dont sell that cover by itself. Thanx for your help I wonder what happened. Been working fone all these years

Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Default Gluing

Heres the best way to glue it. It is made of ABS, the same plastic as the black (not white) plastic plumbing fixtures. Go to Hone Depot or your local hardware store and buy a small bottle of ABS cleaner and black ABS glue. Then buy a small ABS fitting that best suits your needs - usually something with a flat surface like an end plug works best. The plastic in the fitting is almost 1/4" inch thick - way to thick to use. So you need a saw of some kind. A bandsaw works best, but any saw that allows you to slice off thin slices of plastic. They don't have to be pretty - they will melt in the glue anyway. The thinner the better - as thick as a credit card is good. Then use the cleaner and the glue on the back side of the cover and use the slices as patches to hold it all back together.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks again Doug but I ended up using a little JB weld and some Duck tape. I figure im not doing it for the looks anyway.