Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2006 C70 Navigation System is LOST!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 C70 Navigation System is LOST!

HI,

Although this might be considered a generic problem and not specific to the C70, I'm hoping that someone here may be able to give some advice, if not have a "fix" I can implement.

My factory-installed navigation system has begun to err more and more. When I'm going north, it says I'm going 90 degress off, if not more. There's no consistency to how much it's off or a particular direction it tends to be off. Consequently, it rarely now shows my current, correct location and gets worse as the drive continues.

This problem has evolved to reach this point. It started several months ago taking longer and longer to get back on track, but it still showed that I was close; several yards then hundreds off. It would correct itself as I drove and after 1-5 minutes, it would be back on track. Ironically, those were the "good old days". I've been driving it for the last 3 days and keep the system on in hopes that it will self-correct. Pipe dreams.

I've removed the DVD, held the reset button and anything else that popped in my head except disconnecting it from the system (for fear of messing up some other electronics). Nothing works.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm fully open to constructive suggestions, even if not proven to work.

Thanks!

X-Man

Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Update

I know the way this is supposed to work isn't that I reply to my own posts but since this might help you help me, I decided to not wait and share and update.

Today I noticed that my GPS was back in sync with the compass in the mirrow and Truth. That is in terms of the heading matching where the car was pointing. However, it still has my position off by more than 1/2 a mile.

I removed the disc, cleaned the player using the lens cleaner with the disc that came with the "new" discs (now 3 years old), reinserted the map disc for this area and BOOM! Nuthin' changed!

So the heading seems to drift, or at least slowly corrected itself. We'll see if it's drifted back off tomorrow when I take it out. But the positioning function is still wrong; it doesn't know where on the earth I am.

I'm hoping that some of this rings a bell with someone here and you can offer a solution I haven't tried yet. I've gone to the Volvo site and the only solution it seems to want to offer me is to buy a new, updated set of map discs, only a year old.

Standing by and relying on my Android smart phone for navigation assistance here in Arizona.....

X-Man