Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2007 C70 Jacking?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C70 Jacking?

Howdy, hopped on here because I haven't been able to find any answer specific to the C70 other than the jacking points listed in the manual.

For any of you who put your C70 up on four stands: how do you jack it? I'm doing some work on mine next weekend for the first time, and I'm wondering if there's a good center point near the front/rear or on the side to lift of the vehicle to use the floor jack on to put the stands in place under the pads 2 at a time.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unfettered
Howdy, hopped on here because I haven't been able to find any answer specific to the C70 other than the jacking points listed in the manual.

For any of you who put your C70 up on four stands: how do you jack it? I'm doing some work on mine next weekend for the first time, and I'm wondering if there's a good center point near the front/rear or on the side to lift of the vehicle to use the floor jack on to put the stands in place under the pads 2 at a time.

Any help is appreciated.
To prevent damage to vehicle, DO NOT USE A FLOOR JACK ON THE JACK POINTS ON SIDE OF VEHICLE! I use my floor jack under each shock only!
I only put my jack stands under the frame members.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM

On my 2002 there are center jacking points at the front and rear. If you look underneath you can easily spot the reinforced areas. I'm not sure about your '07.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Just going to throw some comments on here so anyone searching later that finds it can see what I did.

First off, from 2006 and on, the C70 is built on the unibody "Volvo P1" or, rather, "Ford C1" Platform. Some of the larger-lot C1 models have jacking and shoring videos out there that are helpful references. The way the underside of the car is protected/the vehicle is put together, there aren't really any "frame" points under the car where a jack stand can be placed.

On the pinch weld on the body (the channel that is at least partly concealed by the plastic panels on the lower portion of the '06+ C70s), there are a couple (2) jack points defined on each side that are the manufacturer-defined points for using a jack, immediately fwd of the rear wheel and aft of the fwd wheel. If you use a bit of wood/hockey puck, you can jack using those points and a floor jack. If you don't, you'll get some claw marks on the pinch weld, but these won't have a serious structural impact, unless you drive the car for 30+ years. Your primary concern on those claw marks is going to be corrosion ingression, which can be mitigated by slapping a bit of solgel and primer or enamel on the marks.

For the positioning of the jack stands, the pinch weld (near the jacking points) has worked well for me so far. 12 hours on jacks and no deformation to the structure is noted. You WILL have some elastic deformation of the plastic closeouts, but that seems to be inevitable. If you have any kind of mileage/"interesting" driving on your c70, this plastic has probably seen some things on the underside of the car, anyway.

That elastic deformation MAY turn into ultimate deformation, depending on where on the pinch weld you position your stands and how long it sits up there. On the plus side, it's non-structural, and will serve as a handy guide as to where you did the same thing last time.