Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

98 c70 with 2.3 turbo non-start issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 c70 with 2.3 turbo non-start issue

Hello and thankyou for having me on your forum. I have been reading for 3 days to solve my problem, no luck as of yet. last year I noticed when the turbo kicked in the car would fall on its face every time, would not stall but would run erratic for a min or so. So I just never accelerated hard after that and car would run pretty good most the time with the occasional sputter during acceleration. last week while driving I noticed I was loosing power and would get up to speed slowly while giving more pedal she jumped and sputtered to the side of the road and stalled out. Had my baby towed home.

I started the basic checks and noticed low fuel pressure at the rail 10 psi, changed the fuel pump and filter, still no start. changed cap, rotor button, plugs and wires. still no start. coil has strong blue spark, getting good spark at plugs. seems to me injectors are pulsing but not delivering any fuel to the cylinders. Checked all fuses and relays. Checked B+ harness, all are in good shape. so I have spark, fuel at the rail, still no start. oh and I checked the timing and have no issues there. have not replaced maf or the throttle sensor...could these cause my no start situation? cat converter due for replacement..could that cause a non start?

Car has 170k on her. Im running out of options I think. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Insid

Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 C70 No Start

Sound like plugged CAT. Throttle sensor could be adding to problem and MAF
I Have same car 51k miles. Maybe you can do what I did to my Chevy truck 1 time. I found an exhaust shop that removed my CAT and installed a TEST pipe, validating a bad CAT. This can only be done in the OBD ii sensor is b 4 the CAT and none after the CAT. Discount Catalytic Converters - Top Quality Catalytic Converters at pocket-friendly prices

JMHO

Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM

Had a shadetree mechanic check the cat, not plugged seems to be okay ..I live in the sticks and have no way to read out codes. I understand in order for you fellows to be able to help, you need some codes. Sorry.. Was just hoping maybe since this seems to be a common prob, that someone could point me in a close direction. I am chasing my tail. Having very low fuel pressure at the rail..Changed fuel pump, just an aftermarket pump, fuel filter, FPR..really, is that the best location to place it , timing is good changed all plugs wires cap rotor button. coil delivering nice hot spark all plugs getting good hot spark. Maf sensor came in this morn and will be changing it out in a bit. The lingering prob still seems to be fuel pressure loss at the rail, great pressure when cranking but after a few min it bleeds to zero. with no visual signs of leaking fuel. Pinched off return line with same results non start and pressure bleeds off. where could the prob lye now, could the dampner on the rail be failing without leaking the fuel. Im really starting to think its purely an ignition prob. have read out the ignition immobilizer seems to be within resistance specs. Everytime I read related articles I am led to different ares such as the fuel pump ckeck valve, remember I pinched the return line. Or the check valve in the air pump or air pump itself, I have not gotton into that area. after car sets all night it will attemp to start briefly in the morning but wont. I know that there is a wealth of info on this forum and I just dont know what to do next. If the car would start I would take it immediately to have codes read. Even tryed the lock unlock 5 times technique, no luck there either. I really like this car and would hate to part with it but I may have to soon, as life must go on. Most of what I changed out was due for replacing anyway so a few hundred dollars in parts was needed. I really need some help with this, so if anyone could offer something or at least a direction would be appreciated. Thanks and Ill let you know if the maf helped or not.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 AM

To the one person that took the time to help out, Thankyou so much. To the rest of you so called experts...you can suck it. Found the issue and No, I won't be sharing it with you, and is wasn't the MAF. There isn't anything worse than egotist that think they are too good to share info, prob because they think helping someone out would cut into their valuable time. To smart to share the "expertise" with the rest of us. And I will make it a point to steer folks away from this forum.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insidious45
to the one person that took the time to help out, thankyou so much. To the rest of you so called experts...you can suck it. Found the issue and no, i won't be sharing it with you, and is wasn't the maf. There isn't anything worse than egotist that think they are too good to share info, prob because they think helping someone out would cut into their valuable time. To smart to share the "expertise" with the rest of us. And i will make it a point to steer folks away from this forum.

why the attitude?