Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Adjustable Headrest and Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Headrest and Owners Manual

I just purchased a used 2011 C70 which I love but my wife hates the seat headrest. She is one of the 13% where the headrest causes interference with the drivers "preferred" head position. (ref: http://www.hybridcars.com/comment/reply/23274/72681 ). When I first looked into the C70, I decided upon the 2011 because according to Edmonds, it had an adjustable headrest. When I went into the showroom, the Volvo salesman said I was mistaken and the headrest was fixed.

I subsequently stopped by the service department and asked if the headrest could be removed and they tried removing it by pushing the hidden buttons in the back of the seat but that didn't work. After I got home I was looking at the Quick Guide foldout and it shows an adjustment button on the headrest. I went out to the car and, low and behold, hidden under the leather upholstery is a button that allows the head rest to move up a bit and on the opposite post is a recessed button that can be depressed to remove the whole headrest. I was dumbfounded that this is not listed in the owners manual.

I checked an online owners manual (ref: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/20...ers-Manual.pdf ) and on pages 104-105 it discusses adjusting and removing the headrest.

I searched a long time for info about the C70 headrest and I hope this will help other people out there.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Okay I'm a bone-head. In my printed owners manual there are two pages which discuss and show how to remove the headrests. I totally over thought this whole thing.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering why there's a difference between the on-line and printed versions.
As the proverb says: When in doubt, read the instructions.
Ed

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

As it turned out, there wasn't a discrepency between the owners manual and the car. Before I bought the car I had spoke with a dealer sales man and i had looked at older manuals and had done some online research. All of these sources mentioned the hidden buttons in the seat back so when I got the car that's where I looked and there are hidden tabs in the seat back they just don't do anything and can be ignored. After I found the actual tabs between the head rest and set top (which cant be seen with the head rest down) I then found that the manual shows all this information. If I had never done any research I would found the actual buttons immediately.