Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

attempt to clean the vent box failed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attempt to clean the vent box failed

I attempted to clean my vent box this weekend and failed. Never got the intake off. Seems the guides out there are for the 850 or pre-99 turbos. I have a 99 with the 2.4L turbo. For one, the throttle body is under the manifold and is never addressed in any of the guides, I don't know if it needs to come off (and how). The fuel line routing seems to be different, and there are many tiny hoses and joints where some look like it has to be cut (no clamp). Is there a guide for '99+ vent box replacement ?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just talked to a local shop here that specializes in Volvos. Service manager said for the C70 it's $1100 for the breather system replacement, 6 hours of labor. WOW! He said C70 is the most complicated. Is he yanking my chain? Is the C70 engine configuration that different from a similar year V70? I'm kindda glad I didn't start ripping hoses off this weekend or I would be without a car to go to work!

I don't have any puffing smoke out of the dipstick, very little splatter around the oil cap, and no blue smoke, but I seem to be losing oil these days. Seems to go down quite a bit initially, like half a quart in a few days, but then levels off below the hash on the stick. Oil light has not come on except one time on the freeway on-ramp after several seconds of hard right. That's when I first noticed it's a quarts low (it was due for an oil change). No oil on the garage floor and there has always been a leak (seepage?) on the driver side engine surface as long as I've owned it (1 year, ~20000 miles).