Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Convertible, roof not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM
CJP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Convertible, roof not working

Hi all,

The roof of my C70 Convertible from 2001 has stopped working after a friend tried it...

He has put it back to place manually, but nothing happens when you push the button. And - when you drive, the small lamp in the roof button is blinking and making a terrible noise..

We connected a VIDA and had a look - it gives a roof fault of some sort..

Is it a common issue and does any of you know what to do? Buy a used roof computer..? Or..? Grateful for any help, it is driving me crazy...

Old 03-21-2015, 06:44 PM

The lamp in the roof button and noise is telling you that the roof is not locked in its end position. You say "....He has put it back to place manually..." but do you know how he did it? Are there any gaps? Have you used the tools in the back to lower (tension) the top and the one in the center of the roof at the front?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:35 AM
CJP

Yes, unfortunately - no gaps and he used the tools. But what could the problem and the cure be? A VIDA do not show any errors....

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CJP
Hi all,

The roof of my C70 Convertible from 2001 has stopped working after a friend tried it...

He has put it back to place manually, but nothing happens when you push the button. And - when you drive, the small lamp in the roof button is blinking and making a terrible noise..

We connected a VIDA and had a look - it gives a roof fault of some sort..

Is it a common issue and does any of you know what to do? Buy a used roof computer..? Or..? Grateful for any help, it is driving me crazy...
Hi,
I know that i'm giving this answer almost one year later, however maybe it would help You, or someone else with same problem.
I was fighting with this noise of warning signal of roof failure in my 2000 volvo c70 convertible, for a long time, till today. Suddenly i found a fuse no. 29 with description like this "rear Window demist/rear Mirror defrost/ seatbelt reminder/syren". Removing this fuse solved my problem with this annoying sound in the cabin of roof failure warning, white driving. However the roof is still not working, but i'm working on it to fix it
All the Best for all volvo owners

Old 10-12-2016, 12:15 AM

did you try holding the button for 20 seconds to ee if it will reset?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Exclamation 2000 soft top won't work

I read the prior postings from several years back. I'm wondering if there was ever a resolution to this issue. I have replaced my top myself about a year ago. All has been fine until this week. When opening the top I stopped with it halfway up. I then continued to open the top and when It had completely opened, the back cover would not close up over it. I have worked with It a bit today and now it will neither open nor closed. It does nothing when I press the up or down button. I can manually retract of the top fully but the cover remains upright and will not close.

I will look for the manual control in the trunk but would appreciate if there are other suggestions to The possible root cause of this problem. I am suspecting microswitch or potentiometer or possibly wiring.

I also noted some comments about the wiring so I will try to inspect that. The wires looked pretty good last year when I replaced the top. However, since replacement, I have had an issue where the edge of the canvas catches in the frame when I am lifting the top back into position. That is why I stopped it halfway up, to make sure that it is clear. I am not sure how I would determine if a micro switch or potentiometer had a problem.