Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 door unlocks and opens itself while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, i really enjoy the car. I will find out what the dealer says and post it. I think I am out of the warranty though. I need to check, I am under 100k, but the over the years on the extended warranty. I have owned a Volvo consistently for 20+ years so I hope they own up to it.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mamabear96
Hi, has anyone with C70 (2013) ever have this problem? I was driving long distance this weekend, about 4 hours, my car doors unlocked and door was ajar while I was driving. It happened 4 times. I had to pull over and close and lock the doors again and again. It didn't do that when I drove home with the top up. It only did that when the top was down. I'm baffled and frustrated. Any idea?
If it was serviced by volvo they are supposed to grease these with White grease. Volvo service tick the box but don’t always do it! I now service myself and I grease these with white grease. Then open and shut doors 10 or so times. If I forget, the doors start doing this just after each year. So if done at service you should not notice this happening. But if it does it hasn’t been serviced properly! Make you wonder what else they forget but tick.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:36 PM

I had the problem with the door opening on its own about a year ago. It happened about four times in a two week period. I checked out this thread then, and noted what people have done about it. The consensus was it was a lubrication problem. Well, I'm a procrastinator and I never lubricated it. As a matter of fact I haven't done anythiing to try to correct the problem. It hasn't opened on its own in over a year. This leads me to believe that my car has learned to repair itself or lubrication is not the issue. Can't explain this one. Any ideas? Also it didn't matter if the top was up or down when the door opened on its own.. I have an 09 C70.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Default Vovlo C70 doors opening

Purchased a previously owned 2013 C70 last year and immediately began having similar issues as others have described. Door lights come on and "Door ajar" notice initiated when driving at highway speeds with top down. This is quite unnerving, as I have to stop the vehicle and re-shut the doors. Have tried lubrication suggestion, but it has proved ineffective. I am a long time Volvo owner and am completely dismayed by the lack of culpability of Volvo and their dealers to effectively address this issue. If it is a defective electrical or latch issue, Volvo should have sent recall info out and the dealers should fix the issue. I have posted a complaint with the NHTSA.

Last edited by crease24; 06-02-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by APB053
I had the problem with the door opening on its own about a year ago. It happened about four times in a two week period. I checked out this thread then, and noted what people have done about it. The consensus was it was a lubrication problem. Well, I'm a procrastinator and I never lubricated it. As a matter of fact I haven't done anythiing to try to correct the problem. It hasn't opened on its own in over a year. This leads me to believe that my car has learned to repair itself or lubrication is not the issue. Can't explain this one. Any ideas? Also it didn't matter if the top was up or down when the door opened on its own.. I have an 09 C70.
An update since my last post. The door stopped unlocking and opening on its own right after I replaced the battery in the 09 c70. It makes sense that it could be a software issue. When I replaced the battery everything had to reboot. This is just a theory, but I find it odd that once the battery was replaced I ceased to have the problem with the door opening. It has been over a year now, with no problems. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Default doors opening

Thanks for the info; hadn't considered the battery aspect. Will look into that option.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Received a call from NHTSA investigator regarding C70 automatic door ajar notice while top down. Although genuinely interested, he could not say there was any one fix for the problem, but stated they do have an open investigation into this specific issue and suggested I contact VOLVO of AMERICA, which I did.
Unsurprisingly, Volvo of America has no open recalls for this problem. Their recommendation was to contact my Volvo Dealership and have them look into it.
So, I did call both Volvo dealers in Minneapolis/St. Paul area; was informed that if my vehicle needed a "latch" replacement, the cost would be upwards of $700 per door. Don't think he appreciated me laughing out loud at him. Will consider other remedies before taking the more expensive route.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Just chiming in here again. Had my battery replaced by Volvo in the US about 2 years ago ($260+) and curiously enough compared to the comment above we never had this issue until the battery was replaced! So shows at best this is a complicated issue that Volvo could give a rat's a** about.
Just had this happen again about 3 weeks ago driving at highway speed with the top down.
Never had this issue with my '09 C70, which also had the battery replaced. That's another issue altogether as most know!

Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 AM

I agree with your comment that it is a complicated issue that Volvo must certainly be aware of but feigns ignorance. Had another episode of the door opening yesterday while driving (with the top down) at less than 20 m.p.h. over a somewhat bumpy road. To say the least it's unnerving and truly an unsafe situation. Having applied numerous suggested remedies to no avail, I'm left wondering if selling the vehicle is my only option. Unfortunately that just transfers the problem to another owner. Volvo's lack of culpability saddens me. For a company that stresses safety, this is downright criminal. I've owned 4 Volvo's over the last 15 years; I may never buy another.......

Old 07-06-2019, 12:40 AM
Angry C70 door unlock issue

Hi, just purchased a 2009 2l diesel SE C70 and the drivers door came unlocked 3 times during a 75 mile drive. Will try the grease but if no resolution will be taking it back to the dealer. The biggest problem will be convincing the dealer that the problem exists as there are no specific actions that cause it.

Update, sprayed the locks with white grease and so far the issue has gone

Last edited by bill1967t; 07-21-2019 at 01:35 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by crease24
Thanks for the info; hadn't considered the battery aspect. Will look into that option.
I have had a replacement battery but the problem still exists. I have been into a local dealer today who suggested there is a fix and it does involve replacing or adjusting the Latches. I have emailed Volvo UK with this information requesting a response and a way forward. We'll see......

Old 11-08-2019, 07:10 PM

Update: Slathered white lithium grease on both door latches (driver & passenger) and haven't had the problem since! Did a good road trip too (>2000 km) in late September, most at highway speeds and never had the problem.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Before you go greasing the latches up, spray them heavily with brake cleaner. My sense of this is the original lubricant has dried up, and may cause the latch to not fully engage. Did mine 2 years ago, haven't had a problem since

Old 11-09-2019, 01:36 PM

That's a good upgrade. All I did was wipe my latches clean but didn't use any cleaner. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Default Volvo resolved it for me

I followed this up with Volvo UK following my visit to the local dealer and initially they suggested they didn't know about the issue. I shared this forum with them. They then offered to get my local dealer to contact me - hmmm a circular conversation moment. Anyway, the dealer contacted me, booked me in and then between Volvo UK and the dealer, they fixed the problem by replacing the latches - f.o.c. A pleasing result as most of us who drive this car - we love them.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 PM

Hello fellow C70 lovers. I have a 2011 C70 and had the same issue with the (driver) door popping open at highway speeds - top up, top down, it didn't matter. Anyway, I had a feeling that maybe it had something to do with the auto lock system?!?!? So, I turned off the auto locks. Great, the door no longer opens while driving on the highway. In fact, now it no longer will open from the inside at all. I took the door panel off and found the cable was attached and working perfectly...so after reading all of your comments, I am hoping that it will be fixed by replacing the latch inside the door. Had the car at my trusty Volvo guy today for oil change and all that stuff and obviously he didn't have the part in stock so I think I am going to try this myself! I'm convinced after seeing your problems that the latch just has gone bad because I'm fairly sure that it was only a intermittent problem originally - yes, yes, I'm blaming myself for not fixing it then! Anyway, thanks you all for your time to post - it really is helpful to read similar stories

Old 04-01-2021, 03:19 AM

I also don't like it. I think there is a problem with this type of Volvo

Old 10-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C70 door comes open

[QUOTE=rharnettc70;449301]The same thing just happened to me 2x yesterday while drive on the highway with the roof down, frightened to death going 65 mph and your door goes ajar. Has anyone gotten Volvo to own up to the issue, clearly it's a problem - I am bringing my car in to the dealer tomorrow and I suspect to get the run around, anyone one with any confirmation that this is some sort of recall would be GREATLY appreciated![/QUOTE

If you took it to the dealer, what did they do to fix it

Old 10-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C70 door comes open

[QUOTE=rharnettc70;449301]The same thing just happened to me 2x yesterday while drive on the highway with the roof down, frightened to death going 65 mph and your door goes ajar. Has anyone gotten Volvo to own up to the issue, clearly it's a problem - I am bringing my car in to the dealer tomorrow and I suspect to get the run around, anyone one with any confirmation that this is some sort of recall would be GREATLY appreciated![/QUOTE

If you took it to the dealer, what did they do to fix it

The following users liked this post:
Shigirl809 (12-02-2021)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:25 AM
Default C70 door - Hum and Haw and time wasted

It had taken me months to try and solve my C70 2009 driver's door unlocking. On each occasion I tried to solve the problem myself by using the techniques helpfully explained in this forum but ultimately it came down to my taking the car to a Volvo dealership and they have fixed the problem by replacing the driver's side door lock. Total cost £358. However, it has been interesting and enjoyable to say the least to have followed the forum suggestions. Thank you All.

Last edited by Alf 7633; 06-29-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: C70 door unlocks and opens itself while driving.