Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Hard Top roof

Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Hard Top roof

Is it standard that the 2007 C70 hard top convertible leaks when passed through a car wash?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Default RE: C70 Hard Top roof

I assume you are using a touchless car wash? I had the same problem. I was informed (by the dealer) that the high pressure spray frojm these car washes are too high for the gaskets on on my rag top. I now use the conventional brush style car wash with good results. When I hand wash the car I get better results. When I send the car out for detailing the results are better. I understand not having enough time to always be able to hand wash the car. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 PM

I have a 08 c70 hard top and I just got it back from the dealer, after taking it twice before. The first time they told me that I must have not had the top closed or a door not closed properly. The next time I took it in, they took it through a standard car wash and realized that it was not my imagination or an error on my part. They contacted Volvo's tech help hotline and were not given suggestions since they had never heard of this happening. I spoke to the sales manager and he said that it should not leak and transferred me to the service manager. He flat out told me that there was nothing that he could do. I called corporate, who flew someone to Florida to check out my car. There conclusion: My roof leaks in a regular car wash. I have been instructed not to take my car through one, unless its one of theirs because theirs is a low pressure car wash or I can hand wash it. Personally, my car leaks more now than when I took it to them. They resealed things etc. Before I always leaked on the drivers side and at times the passangers. Now I leak in both and in the back. Needless to say that I am not too happy.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm not sure that this is at all helpful to those who are seeing leaks, but my car goes through a "touchless" car wash (with high-pressure spray) with no leaks. I have not tried it at one of those hand-wash places where you have a high-pressure wand.

Over on VW Eos forums there is a lot of discussion of leaking issues, as well as the use of a rubber seals treatment that is supposed to help. But I don't know if the same thing would help on a C70. (On our C70's the seals around the side window glass are a rubber-like material, whereas the seals on the roof seams are more of a vinyl-like material.... I don't know what the Eos seal material is.)

One first step I would take is to use a damp-rag to wipe down all of the roof seals and window seals, to remove dust, dirt, etc. You might also do some home experimenting with a hose to try and pinpoint if the leaking is from a particular place. That may help the dealer to come up with something.