C70 Hardtop Convertible drooping/fallen rear headliner - Page 3 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo C70
Reload this Page >

C70 Hardtop Convertible drooping/fallen rear headliner

Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Hardtop Convertible drooping/fallen rear headliner

Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM
JMJ

I had the same problem with my 2010 C70. After a few failed tries, I found that J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder did the trick. I purchased it from Amazon for $6.95

Basically I took each clip piece and cleaned them up really well. I also cleaned up the headliner. Note: I used the old clue outline to make sure I can line the clips up to their original location. Use a marker to mark your spot(what ever color works for your application) Once all of the old glue was removed I used a metal brush and scuffed the plastic clips up a lttle. I felt this would help the clue stick better. Side note: I also removed the little plastic tabs from the roof of the car, this will make for an easy install.

Once everything was prepped and ready, I applied the glue(follow glue instructions on the package)to 1 clip at a time and to its designated spot on the headliner. Then put the 2 together, and apply a pressure and hold for about 30 seconds until they bond. Repeated on all of the tabs. I let it rest for about 1 hour. Then I took the little plastic tabs and slid them into the plastic clips. Once all of the plastic clips and tabs are together, take your time and be gentle and push each one back into their designated spot on the roof of the car.

I did this on the front and rear headliners and It's been about 3 months and the headliners are still up.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 AM

I was just about to try putting bolts through the liner and into the holes where the pegs were, but a friend pointed out the metal bolt heads could scratch the roof of the middle section when it the top folds up.

I'm so frustrated with this. This Texas heat is brutal and I don't think any adhesive will be a permanent solution.

Have you tried bolts yet or had any success otherwise?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Let me offer this advice from a dealer's perspective. We handle very few convertibles because of issues like this. As the car ages, so does the convertible top and liner. They have a useful life of about 10 years.

The last convertible that I bought was a Mercedes and we ended up having a new convertible top installed. The headliner part was excellent but the top was shot. I still spent $1600 between the top and labor to install. It looks new but most people will not spend that kind of money.

Buying a convertible sounds neat until the reality of the maintenance and repair comes along. If you like the car and want to keep it, consider having it all replaced. An upholstery shop that does convertible tops probably has an adhesive that will long outlast the factory stuff. There are not quick fixes here and the ones that are will ruin the appearance of the car. I would not buy a convertible that had any kind of tampering done as is described above.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 PM
JMJ

I didn't think about using screws. But I can understand your frustration. I was getting to that creative point, until I came across the JB Welds. So far it's still holding.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
Let me offer this advice from a dealer's perspective. We handle very few convertibles because of issues like this. As the car ages, so does the convertible top and liner. They have a useful life of about 10 years.

The last convertible that I bought was a Mercedes and we ended up having a new convertible top installed. The headliner part was excellent but the top was shot. I still spent $1600 between the top and labor to install. It looks new but most people will not spend that kind of money.

Buying a convertible sounds neat until the reality of the maintenance and repair comes along. If you like the car and want to keep it, consider having it all replaced. An upholstery shop that does convertible tops probably has an adhesive that will long outlast the factory stuff. There are not quick fixes here and the ones that are will ruin the appearance of the car. I would not buy a convertible that had any kind of tampering done as is described above.
Thanks for your input and I agree 100%. I'm going to give the JB Weld a shot; if that doesn't hold, then I'll give the upholstery shop a chance.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 PM

The upholstery shop might refuse the job after the JB Weld repair.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 PM

The dealer is talking about softtops, not a hard top.We are talking about a 3 piece headliner mounted onto metal. It shouldn't be this hard. Mine fell in the middle.Took off all the clips and cleaned them. Opened the top halfway. Applied contact cement ( the solvent kind ) to the spots on the backside of the headliner where the glue was, and to the clips. i let the cement tack up for the prescribed time and reinstalled the clips.I got a helper to press the glue together two at a time to keep it lined up. Press hard for 30 seconds each. First the front, then the back. Been up two weeks so far, no problems. The best thing is contact cement is rated for high heat, and I can easily get it. If it does let go again, its an easy 1 hour fix.

Update: been up over a month now, still no problem at all. Seems to be holding up well.

Last edited by mbzguy; 10-24-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 PM
Default plastic flaps on side broke, any experience with this?

Hi to all,
great thread. Both headliners have dropped on mine. Also, the side plastic flaps on both drivers and passengerís side broke at the corner, seems to have big tension. any experience with this? Thanks
Im going to try JB WELD this weekend and will report back. But worried about the plastic sides. Also one wire is hanging loose on driverís side no clue where it runs normally.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Default 2006 C70 Headliner Fix. Use nutserts and short machine screws.

Originally Posted by Tornike Jashia View Post
Hi to all,
great thread. Both headliners have dropped on mine. Also, the side plastic flaps on both drivers and passengerís side broke at the corner, seems to have big tension. any experience with this? Thanks
Im going to try JB WELD this weekend and will report back. But worried about the plastic sides. Also one wire is hanging loose on driverís side no clue where it runs normally.
I used 10-32 nutserts in the metal top and put 10-32 X 1Ē machine screws through the headliner to hold the headliner onto the top. The screws do not come in contact with the other roof sections. I replaced all 8 clips in the center section with screws and it took about an hour to repair. It has been holding for over a year.
The nutsert tool and inserts fit into the holes in the underside of the roof panel and as far as lining up the sheet metal screws with the nutserts insert it was just a matter of taking my time and puncturing the headliner fabric in the right place. The repair cost about $28. $25 for nutsert tool and inserts and $2 for machine screws. Nutserts are similar to a pop rivet but have internal threads.